Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnny Swain: 'Freedom (Lay Down My Life For You)' Mix & Master by Daniel Boyd
Johnny Swain: 'Freedom (Lay Down My Life For You)' Mix & Master by Daniel Boyd

I feel like the vocals are a little too compressed but part of that sound I think is the vocal comp where there were some abrupt changes.  I noticed there were also some glitches in the vocal comp I had to fix before mixing.  Any other feedback is welcome, I find mixing metal guitars to be walking a very thin line to get the right sound...

.m4a    Cambridge feat. Johnny Swain - Freedom - Mix & Master by Daniel Boyd.m4a --  (Download: 9.94 MB)

(15-10-2022, 06:58 PM)Lynx_TWO Wrote: Johnny Swain: 'Freedom (Lay Down My Life For You)' Mix & Master by Daniel Boyd

I feel like the vocals are a little too compressed but part of that sound I think is the vocal comp where there were some abrupt changes.  I noticed there were also some glitches in the vocal comp I had to fix before mixing.  Any other feedback is welcome, I find mixing metal guitars to be walking a very thin line to get the right sound...
Updated the vocals for clarity and got rid of some further glitch issues.  Also really brought out some of the strings in addition to the contrabass horns around 3:51.  Had a couple of regular people listen.  One noticed she got goosebumps when listening.  Physiological response?  Good enough for me Big Grin

.m4a    Cambridge feat. Johnny Swain - Freedom - Mix & Master by Daniel Boyd - Take 2.m4a --  (Download: 9.91 MB)

It started so well, but for me, I think you slammed the master way too hard.
Back off a bi the processing on the master. Overall balance is nice, I think

Cheers
MacPro 5,1 - Monteret | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
Hi Lynx_TWO,

I agree with filipandrei. I think that sounds a little too squashed and muddy.
Maybe if you add more snap to the kick and bring it back in level (the same applies to the bass) you could achieve more clarity.

Regarding the lead vocals, i think that in some parts is too saturated and the delay in the start, to me, is a little distracting (maybe here and there is fine but not the whole time)

Cheers!