Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mykey Massacre - Don't Please Stay
Just listened to the newest, ro at least what I think is the newest version.

Lots of power in the intro fill, that's nice ... actually all of it is nice ... yea, it's a really nice mix.

Just to make sure it's doesn't all end up in: "Ohh ... you're sooo great ... " Wink

Maybe I find the toms a bit too panned. I mean, when I'm doing my awesome airdrumming, it doesn't feel quite rigt, because the LR-placement of the toms doesn't really resemble their placement on an actaul drumkit ...

Is there a dB or two too muich verb on the snare? Maybe there isn't ... ?

Personally I like it, when the guitar solo is sitting ... in the same spot as the lead vocals, if that makes any sense. Here the first solos seems a tad lower ... the last one feels quite nicely though!

Am not fan of the radio-pop-fade-out in the end! *LOL*

With that being said, I really enjoyed Your mix. Friggin' awesome!
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Hey! Thanks for checking out the mix, much appreciated.

Guilty as charged regarding the rack toms I'm afraid. Honestly, I had a nagging feeling at the time that I probably shouldn't do it, but that thought soon passed and I did it anyway.

The snare. Yes it seems I like quite a lot of room on it (possibly an understatement), but perhaps this could do with a bit more of the direct mic. Actually I remember that I did have a bit of an issue getting enough of the sound I wanted from direct mic in the mix balance for some reason. I have figured out a possible solution for that now as I solved a similar sort of problem with a different instrument in another mix I did recently.

Regarding the guitar solos - I think my idea was for the last solo to have more impact. I agree that I should bear in mind the 'taking over the spot of the lead vocal' thing. A good point, well made.

Hmm. I think the fadeout has to be around the 3 minute mark (or is it the 2 minute mark these days) to be offically called a radio-pop-fadeout? I'm sure I heard a story that back in the pre-automation days, all the big L.A. studios had a 'radio fade guy' on call. That can't be true can it? I was just copying the library mix there really.

You know, I always thought the library mix was kind of like the thing to shoot for, a sort of 'client approved' version if you will, but a recent contributor was wondering why the intro was cut from their track - which makes me wonder if the fadeout was more a case of Mike S getting bored of the shredding or something by then, as it is quite a long track.

Thanks again for the comments. They actually prompted me to do a bit of research into a couple of things you brought up.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey Mike!
Second mix it's for me!
Just maybe some FX's on guitar solo parts whould be nice to hear.
But the power is there.
Good job man.
(08-11-2022, 06:35 AM)Unknow Mixer Wrote: Hey Mike!
Second mix it's for me!
Just maybe some FX's on guitar solo parts whould be nice to hear.
But the power is there.
Good job man.

Hey!

Thanks for checking it out. Yeah maybe it could do with something extra on the solo. It just has a slight touch of delay and reverb on it I think.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!