Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mykey Massacre - Don't Please Stay
Hi,

My attempt.

Cheers!

Added mix _3 - tried to reduce the cymbal phasing a bit.

.mp3    Mykey Massacre - Don\'t Please Stay_2.mp3 --  (Download: 18.65 MB)

.mp3    Mykey Massacre - Don\'t Please Stay_3.mp3 --  (Download: 18.65 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I like it.. Am i hearing a faze or chorus in your cymbals?!?!
Everyone hears it a little different....
House of Bedlam - YouTube
(08-10-2022, 10:58 AM)HouseOfBedlam Wrote: I like it.. Am i hearing a faze or chorus in your cymbals?!?!

Hi!

Thanks.

Nah cymbals are fine... honest! Big Grin.

Shh, don't tell everyone but, yes you are right there is some unintented phazing going on with the cymbals Blush. I forgot to go back and fix it as it wasn't something straightforward... I sort of got used to it and thought it sounded kind of cool. I should really try and track it down and fix it. I guess it's likely the room mics or possibly the reverb. I flipped everything around to get audience perspective on the drums and might have ended up with something the wrong way round.

I don't really understand mixing drums from the drummer's perspective, unless you are going to go the whole way and mix everything else so it sounds like it would from sitting behind the drums. Like singer in the far distance, and trying to get that 'guitar cab facing away from you' sound...

Does anyone know the real story on that, like did someone mix them the wrong way and then have to say, oh, no I meant to do that so you can pretend to be the drummer, and then it became a thing?

The convention for Stereo pianos are a bit weird too, with the bass on the left and treble on the right....

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi!

Added mix _3 - Had a go at reducing the room mic phasing a bit. Think that's about as good as I can get it for now.

Cheers!
(08-10-2022, 12:11 PM)mikej Wrote: I don't really understand mixing drums from the drummer's perspective, unless you are going to go the whole way and mix everything else so it sounds like it would from sitting behind the drums. Like singer in the far distance, and trying to get that 'guitar cab facing away from you' sound...

Does anyone know the real story on that, like did someone mix them the wrong way and then have to say, oh, no I meant to do that so you can pretend to be the drummer, and then it became a thing?

The convention for Stereo pianos are a bit weird too, with the bass on the left and treble on the right....

Cheers!
Starting out I used to always pan drums from the audience perspective but drummers hated it. A lot of drummers just felt weirded out by having it 'backwards' so I went with their pov. Also, if I was giving them a stereo mix in the headphones for tracking it had to be their perspective and it was just easier to record the tracks to tape with the drummer perspective.

I suppose it's the same with keyboard players where the left hand is the low end and any deviation from that throws them off.

To be fair, when mixing something that someone else tracked I try to go by what the Overheads perspective is. If the HH is on the right and the floor tom is on the left I'll go with that. Who knows? Maybe the drummer is left-handed.
Hmm, interesting points.

Surely the drummer can just swap their headphones round, or have a set wired up just for them, if it's only going to sound strange for them if you mix the kit audience perspective. Would surely look a bit odd for live concerts too, or do they actually mix it backwards through the pa to keep the drummer happy?

Fair point if it's a left handed piano though, depending of course whether they are facing the audience or not. Mostly they seem to be set up kind of side on though I think?

Cheers!
Yeah but then they come into the control room to listen and it's just easier to have it in their perspective.
Didn't think of that actually. I guess that's why they have those foot-thick heavy control room doors in big studios.

Cheers!
Mucho better!!!!
Everyone hears it a little different....
House of Bedlam - YouTube
(09-10-2022, 11:18 AM)HouseOfBedlam Wrote: Mucho better!!!!

As I suspected it was the room mics. Just needed to nudge the timing a little. One side seemed to be causing more issues than other other but I found a spot that seemed to work ok. It occurred to me this morning that a possible solution might have been to split the stereo room file and move each side independently, although I suppose that could also introduce issues too.

Cheers!