Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do It Again - Mixed By Steef
Fun and challenging mix. Thanks for listening.

.mp3    Do It Again_MixedBySteef.mp3 --  (Download: 4.19 MB)

Hi!

This is pretty good!

My gut feel is that the frequency balance feels a little weighted towards the low end, at the expense of the vocal. To me it gets a bit buried in the mix at times. We never quite regain the great vocal balance we have during the intro.

I feel you can totally have a slamming low end and clear vocal though with your mix with a couple of moves.

Some thoughts of things that might be worth trying, by way of a little polish:

I think the kick and bass is a bit boomy around 60-80Hz and is clouding the rest of mix a bit -I played around a bit with some eq - a notch around 60Hz or so seemed to clean it up a lot. A wide boost of a db or 2 around 1.5k rebalanced the vocal a little better with the low end.

Not sure if the kick and bass might be triggering the mix bus compressor too much and lowering the volume of the vocal? Might be worth running the mix with just kick, bass and vocal and see how the vocal balance works throughout the song - the vocals might just need some automation here and there to help keep it that little bit more upfront when things get busy.

Another thought to tighten up the low end is to send the kicks and basses to a bus (or just put the plugins on the kick and bass channels, or busses) and stick a dynamic low shelf eq or a band of multi-band compressor around 100 Hz to keep the low end in place.

If you feel your running out of headroom, you can just bring everything down a bit and turn up the monitors. You can always add volume on the mix bus at the end or just hit the limiter a bit harder to make up the difference.

Not sure if that is of any help or not?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!