Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daimon B: 'Pain Remains'
First post and first mix here Wink 
Hard to get the git and synth in the right direction,i didn't want to neglect either instrument.
Drums should be snappy with a good punch but not to much in the front of the mix,i like this "wall of sound" in this great song !
enjoy the sound and comment on it

greetings
RolH

.mp3    Daimon B_\'Pain Remains\'.mp3 --  (Download: 6.26 MB)

I like the drums eq choices you made here. Overall the mix needs more body. I feel you scooped too much mids on many tracks that you ended up with a rather thin sounding mix.
Balances are pretty good though. Nothing poking out too much or badly masked tracks. Vocals need some de-essing. Some harsh frequencies here and there on those sibilant phrases.
Pretty good shot on it though. Keep it up! I'd say more mids/lowmids on some tracks will bring more body to your mix.
(25-09-2022, 10:21 PM)Shul Wrote: I like the drums eq choices you made here. Overall the mix needs more body. I feel you scooped too much mids on many tracks that you ended up with a rather thin sounding mix.
Balances are pretty good though. Nothing poking out too much or badly masked tracks. Vocals need some de-essing. Some harsh frequencies here and there on those sibilant phrases.
Pretty good shot on it though. Keep it up! I'd say more mids/lowmids on some tracks will bring more body to your mix.
Yes u'r right,to separate the guitars and the synth I lost sight of the low mids, maybe also due to my listening situation (no acoustic optimization / living room mix).
Yes, the voice is partly sharp but I did not want to intervene more (de-esser is on), well . . it's part of these vocals ;-)
You could still make more of the song if you automate, but that was too much effort for me Tongue

Thanks for review
Roland
Some tweaks and automation,coloring the low mid better and vox with de-esser (had forgot it last mix to activate Tongue  )

.mp3    Pain Remains tweaks.mp3 --  (Download: 6.27 MB)

Good mix. I think you can afford more mid and lower mid. I think the snare is beautiful and I wish it could be beefier, same with the guitars (they don't seem to cut thru cleanly). I'd work on getting the lower mid from the bass synth and clear some from the melodic synth. They sound like they interfere with the guitars and the snare. I love the snare snap; I'd say give me more! and beefier. I like the thump of the kick but miss the snap of the beater. I heard that this type of music the kick can take some abuse from the HPF. Sometimes they just want the beater so they (pros) push quite hard.

2 things I learn from the internet I want to take a chance and share with you, and if you already knew that's ok others who don't may still benefit, and because "things grow by sharing, and it's not a competition"-Brian May (Queen). (I saw that on TikTok recently): one, the magic is in the midrange, and the other is loudness is a perception and it has less to do with level and more to do with frequencies. I am just beginning to hear and understand that. Good effort. I still enjoy the mix. I found something I like in it.