Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lingua Funqa - Do It Again (peepeeland mix) / 7 hour mix, 100% Logic stock plugins
Hello, all.  peepeeland from Tokyo here-- hope all's well.  First post here-- I've done dozens of mixes from here over the years (thank you) but didn't realize there was a forum...  Will checkout more about what's going on here!

Alright--

Do It Again by Lingua Funqa is an excellent song, masterfully composed and arranged, with modern takes on timeless themes.  Kudos to everyone involved in the production of the song.  I love it.

The song could go in a few directions as far as mixing is concerned, but for the most part, my intention was to keep the charm of each respective section alive and glowing- and have everything be one smooth charming experience.  Things can get weird when one song is vibe and stylistically varied between sections, so the issue to clarify is what the overarching vibe across all sections is, for such projects.  Luckily the song is excellent and does have cohesive vibe flow, so it didn't take long to grasp.

My main intentions were to keep dynamics high, as well as keep things transparent.  I made a lot of use of z-space, as well, which is essential for the high dynamic and 3d vibe I was going for.  There are times to flatten things to hell, but this was not one of them.  For me, this song needs space and air, for the charm to come through.

Stylistically, my mix is quite a traditional treatment in the sense that, the intention is really just to make the music shine, instead of trying to make up for any inadequacies or have to fake vibes.  Upon first listen, the intro to the song might imply that a "modern production" vibe might work for the song, but this is deceptive, as the rest of the song is not that way.  In a general sense, the song is quite 90's, and my mix reflects my feelings on that. 

As far as vocals are concerned- I treated the vocals in a 90's way, as most everything else. I am against generic "vocals on top" modern styles unless the song really calls for it, as that aesthetic automatically hinders expansion of z-space, due to needing elements above and below the vocals to most successfully create this illusory space through psychoacoustic effects.  90's Michael Jackson songs used this to great effect-- pushing back vocals when needed, to make the music and drum stuff absolutely massive.  You can't do that with modern vocals on top style, because the music will always feel weaker than the singer, and that's not always a good thing.

.mp3    Lingua_Funqa-Do_It_Again---peepeeland-mix.mp3 --  (Download: 10.46 MB)

Here is the mastered version of the above mix.  Just going through some passive eq and opto comp and limiter- nothing fancy.

.mp3    Lingua_Funqa-Do_It_Again---peepeeland-master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.46 MB)