Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children of No One
Hey man, thanks for the suggestions. I was actually considering putting the vocals through a parallel compression setup, do your point there is well taken.

As for side chaining distortion to the kick... Do you mean applying distortion in parallel? That's a very good idea I've never tried on drums before... I mainly use it on box and lead synths, but before I try it I just wanted to be sure I understood what you meant
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Overall, I really like this. Keys are much more upfront and you reigned in those guitars. Great stuff. Smile
(22-04-2014, 05:30 PM)chudziak Wrote: Overall, I really like this. Keys are much more upfront and you reigned in those guitars. Great stuff. Smile

Thanks Bill! It's always appreciated when we get feedback from the artist.

I'm a guitarist myself and really enjoyed your playing on this song... fantastic guitar work and very well recorded. Thanks for sharing Big Grin
So far this mix is better than the other handful or so I've listened to of this song. Including my own. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the panning of the 2 organs in the chorus. Vocals I think were the weakest link in the chain but not because they were bad. They just sounded compromised. Great job.
hey man, thanks for kind words. the vocals were the biggest struggle on this mix as I was going for a blend of classic vibe and modern listening expectations... which is an apples to oranges comparison if you don't get it just right. How do you feel they were compromised? I still have the project file for this one.
The vocals feel like they are confined to a limited space. Largely in eq. I dont think they are too quiet but competing for space in the chest and high air frequencies. Also im listening on ear buds btw.
Yeah, sometimes I take too much low end out of the vocals for today's sound. But if you're listening in earbuds, that wouldn't be as noticeable, so it could be a stereo problem, too. Maybe too dry.
Hi Pauli, nice work with your mix. I'm just having a good listen. Okay, I'm hearing those cymbals jumping out. It's not such an issue when the track is turned down, but when you turn it up to get a full sound they do jump out. I'm wondering if a few things are sounding a little thin. Someone's already mentioned the lead vocals, and they do sound a little constrained. I'd like to say 'thin', but that would just imply an EQ issue, and you're aware of that already. I wonder if the effects you've got on the vocals are also contributing to it. It's not bad, and it may be a taste thing? Also, to my ears the ElecGtr1 in the intro is a little thin. But again, might just be taste.

It's interesting that Bill commented on how you've 'reigned in those guitars'. To me (a keyboard player) it's a guitar-orientated song, and I'd be happy with you pushing the guitars a little more in the choruses.

Also, you've done a job with balancing the drums, but I have to say that I don't particularly like the way the snare has come out. It's probably just a taste thing again (it's definitely not 'wrong'!!) and probably suits the song and the era, and the more I listen to it, the more I'm getting used to it.

Hope you don't mind those comments, I'm no expert, just adding my 2 bobs' worth Smile

Cheers.
Hey Audiomuze, thanks for your comments. Of course I don't mind... it's great practice for critical listening.

I mixed this one a long while back and I don't really remember what I did exactly. One thing I can tell you is that at the time I was really abusing the high pass filters in those days due to poor monitoring and misunderstanding their proper use, so it would follow that the mix would sound a bit thin. I don't think I really understood phase alignment very well at the time either, which probably explains the odd snare timbre you've flagged up.