Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pain remains - mixed by moty
Awesome composition and performance.
I prepared the session yesterday and mixed it in about 3,5 hours today, critique is welcome.

.mp3    pain remains 4.mp3 --  (Download: 3.99 MB)

very clean mix! I only hear that vocals are not always balanced in volume.. some of the backing vocals stand out too much.

Please check out my mix:

https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=44259
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
(03-09-2022, 09:01 PM)brady85 Wrote: very clean mix! I only hear that vocals are not always balanced in volume.. some of the backing vocals stand out too much.

Please check out my mix:

i like your mix, i see you went for very different sound, more wild and rough and gave more room to the synths. how did you process the vocals? they sound like there's some sort of effect on them, but i can't tell what it is.
i made the background vocals loud on purpose, it's a thing i noticed in a mix by bruce swedien and wanted to try it.
there is more stuff that needs tweaking, but i didn't want to spend eternity on one mix, because it usually leads nowhere.
thanks for your reply
(03-09-2022, 09:14 PM)Moty Wrote:
(03-09-2022, 09:01 PM)brady85 Wrote: very clean mix! I only hear that vocals are not always balanced in volume.. some of the backing vocals stand out too much.

Please check out my mix:

i like your mix, i see you went for very different sound, more wild and rough and gave more room to the synths. how did you process the vocals? they sound like there's some sort of effect on them, but i can't tell what it is.
i made the background vocals loud on purpose, it's a thing i noticed in a mix by bruce swedien and wanted to try it.
there is more stuff that needs tweaking, but i didn't want to spend eternity on one mix, because it usually leads nowhere.
thanks for your reply
Hey, thank you for checking my mix out!  I attached a screenshot and a small sound clip of my main vocals chain. all I did extra was make another channel with the same stem and lowered the pitch very slightly, and blended them together.

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    vocal chain.mp3 --  (Download: 866.42 KB)

My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
(03-09-2022, 10:10 PM)brady85 Wrote:

Please check out my mix:

thanks for your reply
Hey, thank you for checking my mix out!  I attached a screenshot and a small sound clip of my main vocals chain. all I did extra was make another channel with the same stem and lowered the pitch very slightly, and blended them together.

Wow, that's clever, i never thought of that. I have to try it sometimes.
I see you got stuff by cl2a, i'm stuck with free stuff for now Big Grin i don't want to spend on plugins, until i try to mix for customers, which i'm not ready for yet.
I like a lot of stuff by waves, but it seems that you have to buy it for each device you have. Does it mean when i buy a new PC, i'd have to buy it all again? It seems pretty crazy, but that's how i understood it.
(04-09-2022, 10:42 AM)Moty Wrote:
(03-09-2022, 10:10 PM)brady85 Wrote:

Please check out my mix:

thanks for your reply

Wow, that's clever, i never thought of that. I have to try it sometimes.
I see you got stuff by cl2a, i'm stuck with free stuff for now Big Grin i don't want to spend on plugins, until i try to mix for customers, which i'm not ready for yet.
I like a lot of stuff by waves, but it seems that you have to buy it for each device you have. Does it mean when i buy a new PC, i'd have to buy it all again? It seems pretty crazy, but that's how i understood it.

No  thankfully not, you buy a license. you can it on another system if you register that system.
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro