Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'Pain Remains v2'
Been a while since I've mixed. I enjoyed this one Smile

V2 - Lowered the bass frequencies and turned everything down so the master limiter does nothing, hits -11 LUF. further EQ'd some things around Smile

.mp3    Pain Remains.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

.mp3    Pain Remainsv2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

hey 401kBC. I listened to your mix and a couple things jump out I thought you'd like to know. The first thing I notice is the mix is quite distorted; it makes everything less punchy. Distortion/saturation have the tendency to take the attack away. I think you have enough from the guitars already, anything more on anything else would be too much, imo. The compressors themselves can also distort sounds but much less than a "lofi" (pro tools stock distortion) would be.

It's a rock song so the guitars are boss. If you get them right on the top end where they are most powerful then you can just shave the top end from everything else. That's to prevent screeching hi in this song. I also want to hear the beater (loud & proud). This genre of music needs it. The kick and the snare drive the song forward. I hear a synth with heavy distortion in it the end. Was it on the whole time? That might be the reason why the mix is distorted. Cheers!
a bit low end heavy, also i think your hitting the limiter a bit hard. if you fix the low end this might be fixed. good mix overall!

Please check out my mix :
https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=44259
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
Thank you for the helpful suggestions! added v2 Smile
v2 sounds good!! good work !