Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daimon B - Pain Remains (brady85mix
I love this song, I went with more of an industrial sound for this one, so big drums, a lot of ambience, distorted vocals, etc.
Please let me know what you think, thank you Cool

----------------------------------------------------------
V2

more synth volume
did some things in the low end
vocals a little bit louder
little less glue on the master bus

V3

Kick a little more punch
synths louder and gave them more grit
I sent the mix through my analogue mixer which for some reason made it pretty fat sounding. (might be clipping a little bit).

Not a clean mix but maybe it doesn't need to clean.

.mp3    pain remains.mp3 --  (Download: 7.78 MB)

.mp3    Pain remains v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.78 MB)

.mp3    Pain remains v3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.78 MB)

My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
Hey great mix! I liked the little effects your have here and there. I think this is a matter of taste, but I would like to hear more of the synths. They make the song sound bigger and fuller.
(31-08-2022, 01:05 AM)MakisD Wrote: Hey great mix! I liked the little effects your have here and there. I think this is a matter of taste, but I would like to hear more of the synths. They make the song sound bigger and fuller.
Yeah, I agree, I'll make them more audible in the v2 mix.
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
i uploaded a version 2
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Hi brady85. I think it's great mix, and, since you want it to sound industrial, I think I want more synth (punchy) and perhaps a bit more oomph/ dirty gritty bottom. Snare is awesome. The crunchy guitars are very articulate. Somehow I don't feel the kick hitting me in the face. I think it should be louder where the beater shows who's boss, imo. Yup loud and proud is the name of the game in this song, right?
Uploaded a new version, not really sure about this one.
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
I think the mix is dragging, maybe that's why you were unsure about it? Sometimes we intuitively know, just no explanation Smile. This is where the second pair of ears is so important. The synth started from the beginning is not fast enough (sustain too long) to push the mix forward, and we need that drive immediately unfortunately. It also smears the guitars a bit too, taking away the bite/articulation it had on prevvy. Maybe using it for the low instead. The one when the vox comes in is a better choice, imo (where "pain remains...every single day..."); it has the attack that can punch thru and has a melody on its own, easier to work with. I always try to take the path with the least resistance Smile. About the beater, I still think it's not enough (sorry!) and I think the synth and guitars have something to do with it. I'd shorten the attack on them and see if the beater shows, sometimes a LP works for me too or a slight cut around 1-2kHz on those with top-end rich instruments help bring out the beater. Just an idea for you. Hope it helps. Thanks.
I took a listen to the version 3 of the song and tonally, it's pretty dark...I think a bit too dark.

The drums is where I spent the most time on it. A lot of the time, I'm trying to get the rooms to match with the close mics and add some ambiance and clarity to it. The overheads on this one was a bit buried in the mix in some parts. I like to add a compressor to it (like an 1176, but any analogue compressor will do) and play around with the attack and release ratios to get it to sound even with the room mics, but this is just a personal preference. Smile Also, it was a lot of attack on the close mics and not much in terms of tone of the drum. You might want to try looking at adding some EQ on your drum bus compressor to add some tone back to the drums. For this song, I added some samples and on the bus compressor, I added +6db at 8k and +6 at 80 to fatten and add clarity to the bus, but again, add it to taste.

Bass and gutars really fit together nicely. I'm not a fan of the phaser FX on certain tracks, but that's a me issue. Smile The scream vocals were a bit buried in the mix, especially in the second verse. The rest of the vocals is good.

It's good, but it can be great. One of my mindsets when mixing and mastering is "if this was on Spotify or any streaming service, and I was listening to this the first time, what would I think, and would I listen to it again?" That and having a reference track to follow along makes mixing and mastering so much easier, so that's what I would suggest.

Hope this helps! Smile