Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daimon B: 'Pain Remains'
One cannot go to sleep when there's still work! "How can you have pudding when you don't eat your meat?" P.F Smile.
Less top end (too much teeth). More dynamics in the mix. That was the goal.

(v. F5_1) *Never really like the guitar sounds in the mix. I thought they were a little dark, almost synth-like with those long sustained power chords. I wanted it to be a guitar song Smile (yep, headbanger washed up from the 80s) but the synths got in the way.  So I reamped it to get the crunch I couldn't get with the EQ, poured some reverb on it and send them further back; I also thought too many things jammed up in the front messing up the vocal. I could understand some words but not other. Of course, worked on that. But mostly worked on adding reverb to the individual instrument hoping to open the mix up. That took some time since I didn't hear it all the time. And adding reverb to song like this is not really fun. Hardest is the tail end of the reverb. The guitars are just all over it making it super hard to listen to. Anyway, if you want to say something about the new mix then please do. Otherwise, thanks for the listen!

*Did what I could for the final count down.

.mp3    PainRemainsSonicTrampF4.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

.mp3    PainRemainsSonicTrampF6.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

.mp3    PainRemainsSonicTrampF5_1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

.mp3    PainRemainsSonicTrampFinal.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

Hey Sonictramp, I enjoyed listening to your mixes. some small things I noticed.

- Your main vocals are a little loud, try to lower the main vocal and maybe add 2 decibels on the 2 dub vocals, this way they sit a bit more in the mix.
- low end on the mix is a bit muddy, try to cut some lows around 60hz, maybe a low cut on the synth stems?
- backing vocals are in some places not loud enough.
- the whole mix has a lot of mids in it, they build up around 450hz up to 500hz

Then your snare question. Big Grin

You said He/she who controls the compressor rules the magic kingdom and this is most important to get fat, cutting snares in metal music.

So a simple trick is to use something like the SSL bus compressor. Put the attack on 3 and release on 6, the ratio on 4.
Now just turn the threshold counter-clockwise until you hear small pop in the snare. This is good. that pop will make it cut in the mix.
Then I take a graphic eq, make a bell and boost some high frequencies, for the snare in this song I would also boost a little 13k.
I also cut some mids around 850kz and make a highpass to get rid of some low rumble I don't need and a small boost at around 180kz to introduce some fatness in the snare.
Now take a nice room plugin in, make the decay a little longer and now you should have a pretty decent-sounding metal snare drum.

This is all based on taste of course but maybe it will help you get closer to what you want.

Also please check out my mix :
https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=44259

Thumbnail(s)

My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
Hello,

My name is Daumantas, I am a singer of this song.
I fully wrote, produced, mixed and mastered original
version. Music video here: https://youtu.be/yFU_R-Aq8Cc

Just wanted to thank you for spending time mixing it, it means a lot to me.
About a snare, I merged original snare tracks with a sample, so it's up to you to use your sample on this one. Then did some, eq, compression on separate tracks and I clipped the snare bus about +3 db over 0.

You're welcome to contact me if you have any more questions on other details about the mix.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/daumantas.bagdonavicius
Instagram: daumantasbagda
(31-08-2022, 06:41 PM)@brady85 Wrote: Thank you for taking the time out to write. I know it's bothersome and time consuming, but that only makes me appreciate you more.
Yeah, man. I just started to hear the compressor lately (that's roughly 6 years of trying w/o any guidance) so I am still somewhat clumsy, most of the time always turns out I was either too heavy handed or too light. I am still looking for that elusive place where I can rest the release (a source of unending pain) so that I can sleep at night. But it, like everything else, too shall pass Smile. I'll find it, or it'll find me 6 feet under. It's do or die for me, my friend.

Thanks for the tips. But it looks like I have to hold off a while longer. I only have stock plug in. I have Renaissance bundle but I rarely use it, just the Rcomp on stereo buss bc, to me, it's much more transparent than the BF76. Yup, no SSL, Sound toys, Pultec, etc None of that good stuffs I get to have. I am still stuck on Mountain Lion/Pro Tools 11. But I wrote your instructions down. I'll try it when I have the tool. There's so much a BF76  can do, it can't do everything, right?

Thanks a lot!
(31-08-2022, 08:48 PM)SonicTramp Wrote:
(31-08-2022, 06:41 PM)@brady85 Wrote: Thank you for taking the time out to write. I know it's bothersome and time consuming, but that only makes me appreciate you more.
Yeah, man. I just started to hear the compressor lately (that's roughly 6 years of trying w/o any guidance) so I am still somewhat clumsy, most of the time always turns out I was either too heavy handed or too light. I am still looking for that elusive place where I can rest the release (a source of unending pain) so that I can sleep at night. But it, like everything else, too shall pass Smile. I'll find it, or it'll find me 6 feet under. It's do or die for me, my friend.

Thanks for the tips. But it looks like I have to hold off a while longer. I only have stock plug in. I have Renaissance bundle but I rarely use it, just the Rcomp on stereo buss bc, to me, it's much more transparent than the BF76. Yup, no SSL, Sound toys, Pultec, etc None of that good stuffs I get to have. I am still stuck on Mountain Lion/Pro Tools 11. But I wrote your instructions down. I'll try it when I have the tool. There's so much a BF76  can do, it can't do everything, right?

Thanks a lot!

I think you can use the Rcomp too for the snare.

Also protools 11 comes with  a stock optical compressor or am i wrong? the 304c? 
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
(31-08-2022, 07:42 PM)DaumantasB Wrote: Hello,

My name is Daumantas, I am a singer of this song.
I fully wrote, produced, mixed and mastered original
version. Music video here: https://youtu.be/yFU_R-Aq8Cc

Just wanted to thank you for spending time mixing it, it means a lot to me.
About a snare, I merged original snare tracks with a sample, so it's up to you to use your sample on this one. Then did some, eq, compression on separate tracks and I clipped the snare bus about +3 db over 0.

You're welcome to contact me if you have any more questions on other details about the mix.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/daumantas.bagdonavicius
Instagram: daumantasbagda
Hi Daumantas. Thank you for writing. I am quite surprised/honored reading your note. First, I love your song (and hope you'll give us/me more?) so mixing it is a joy to me. In fact, I spent more time listening to it than mixing it. It speaks to me. I love everything about it. I think you should keep going and some days I hope to hear your name making noise all over the world. You deserve it.

About the snare. I absolutely love snare samples, but intuitively I resisted the use of it (but still want to know how to create it). I never knew why. One day, I was stalking the internet to learn more about mixing I ran into an interview that for the love of god I forgot the name. All I remember is they are well known. Somewhere in the video one of them said, (paraphrase): our music nowadays sucks! The other one asked how and got an answer: Well, I have been going to live shows (rock music) and none of them sound anything like the record. Suddenly I realized that, sure, it's hard to duplicate a sample snare sound live (unless I am wrong here) and taking the snare away from the mix in a rock song and it'll fall apart. Right? Perhaps that's what he meant? Everything is the same, only the snare is a new phenomena bc of samples, in rock music that is. Beside the melody, I love your music partly bc of its originality. Samples, to me, is the very antithesis of originality. But that's just my opinion. I hope you'll not be offended by it.

Rarely I am offered such privilege. I think I'm gonna take you up on your offer and looking forward to learning more from you. you're awesome! Thanks
(31-08-2022, 09:07 PM)brady85 Wrote:
(31-08-2022, 08:48 PM)SonicTramp Wrote:

Thanks a lot!

I think you can use the Rcomp too for the snare.

Also protools 11 comes with  a stock optical compressor or am i wrong? the 304c? 
* I tried all 3 that I have, BF76, Rcomp, and Dyn3. I know that Rcomp has optical, but still unable to replicate the sound. They just never give me the sound that works with the mix. I'll revisit it when I get better at hearing. I can hear the BF76 quite clearly, not so much with the Rcomp/Dyn3. They just don't have the grit I need for rock song. Thanks. Btw, I have the same monitors as yours and I love them.
It seems I finally able to get the snare into blending in the mix for me. I like the way it sounds now. The guitars lacked definition so I brought the top end back to make it easier for the ears to notice. I also think that I should be able to hear the changing of the chords hence the bringing back the attack. One of the synth is not loud enough so a couple dBs up. The kick had too much beater taking some of the top end away from the synth, so I shaved a bit off it to leave room for the synth.
Thanks for the listen, and if you have any suggestions please let me know. Like you, I am just trying. Thanks

.mp3    PainRemainsSonicTrampF5.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

I thought the snare was awesome on the last, but not really. The mix still bugs me. I didn't do a good job. Bad mixer! So I came back, as I always do to songs that I like but thought my mixes were crappy. Don't we all do that?

After sitting in about an hour, all of a sudden I think of Einstein. Yeah, man, out of no where and so random, and remember he said, "“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” So I changed my ways of working. It seems to help.

I spent more time listening without doing anything to individual instrument and determine what to do with each using whatever tool I think can handle the job and took notes of places where I think the particular instrument shines the most. I find it useful for automation later on.

I spent more time trying to identify instruments to highlight. I started to take sides with colliding instruments.

I listen to lower volume, used to be around 80dBs, now around 72, but still somewhat hanging around the high 70s at times. I need to do that less often.

After roughly 3-4 hours, started from scratch as I always do, I came up with this mix. I am not too sure about tomorrow, but now I think it's kicking butt Smile. I think I got the snare sound now. Yep, that's the one that bugs me the most, always the snare, my dearest. They say the ones that hurt you the most are the ones you love the most. What say you?

I lowered the vocal more than I usually do. I am not too sure about the level of the vocal in this genre. I heard mixes (from pros) that I can barely hear the vocals, but then I also heard mixes with very nice and clear vocal. Without guidance, I threw a dart. If you think there is a better place for it, let me know. I just want a proper mix. Thanks in advance. And if possible let me know that the change in work attitude actually improves the mix. If it works for me, it should work for you too. But if not, well, we could always jump ship and find another place for shelter, right? Thanks for the listen.

.mp3    PainRemainsSonicTrampFinal_1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

What tracks did you use on the snare? and also what processing did you use? In my mix I used a mixture of the sample with the top snare track.. and I got a killer tone in the overall drum sound. Snare is sounding too dry and also it's louder than the main voice. You should consider taking different perspectives when analyzing your mixing approaches. If interested at all in my mix, I could share separate stems for the instrumental so you can get a better idea of how they sound individually.

Your Final1 has solid powerful midrange. And that's good. The only bad pointers that could be fix in my opinion is some volume choices on some tracks.
-snare sounding louder than vocals.. needs to come down a bit.
-There is some type of processing in the voice that is giving it a "masked" feel at points and it's not clean enough to pierce through the mix.
-last but not least.. everything sounds too squashed all together. Did you use a compressor on the master bus? Over compressing sometimes sucks the life out of the instruments.