Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini's Push and Pull - New Ver 2a Added
Well this was an odd one.  So many different directions for this one to go. So much thickness and brittleness to handle. 

I chose not to do any re-amping on this and let the electrics play a lesser role than the acoustic which really set the rhythmic character for this song. The da-da-da-da-dot of this song and the dynamic of that figure was emphasized (or at least attempted to be emphasized). I felt the vocals were a stark contrast to the ensemble and I struggled a bit with the vocal placement. I listened to a lot of the mixes here and found many of the vocal approaches more suitable than mine, but I do like the contrast. 

I did something I almost never do. I found most of the instrument tracks to very bright. As a result, I rolled off top end on almost all guitars. I never do that. The solo guitar track was incredibly brittle, and it took a great deal of EQ to tame it so I could place it the sound field without ripping my ears off the side of my face. And what's the deal with the mandolin piano? An odd sonic character, that.

I would be interested in what you think of my solutions. I like to try and discover the song in the tracks. How do you think it turned out?

As always, I appreciated your responses.

Happy mixing,
mITc

Version 2:
I switched out my SSL bus compressor for a Shadow Hills and that really changed how I could push the drums and the mix into the bus.
This is the resulting mix and remaster of that change. I also shortened the reverb time on the Hall. I also thickened the vocals and treated them more as a textural and rhythmic/groove entity.

Version 2a:
Dropped my bus master a few db as it was getting a bit crunchy on the bus. Dropped overall delay and reverb masters a scoche. touched up the vocal master a few db and shaved a db or so from the acoustic master. Added some gain rides to the ensemble toward the end to build energy to the out. Previous mixes for this were very hot (>-11 LUFS), so dropping the master bus level allowed for better dynamics while mastering and at a more nominal listening level.

.mp3    Push and Pull.mp3 --  (Download: 8.39 MB)

.mp3    Push and Pull Ver 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.33 MB)

.mp3    Push and Pull Ver 2a.mp3 --  (Download: 8.46 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]