Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Black Crown - Cage - MIX
Nice session this one! 
First of all, there's no real drums, but the thing is they really do sound great plus you get the advantage of no cymbal bleed so yo can get crazy with parallel compression and such. If you're going for a modern metal approach (which that's what I was trying to do here) you'll find that these clicky samples can really play in your favour. I even added a couple of samples from my own collection to enhance the kick and snare because you can never get enough! All this plus the stereo room track included made it no challenge to get the drums to rock.
The bass sounded crispy and awesome. Surely it would benefit of some minor time adjustments which I would have done if I were to get paid for this mix by a client.
The challenge for me began with the guitar tones, I spent quite a lot of time messing with the EQ and FX to make the guitars fit in the mix the way I envisioned since I found them quite "liveless", particularly on the verses. Also the double tracked guitars have no difference in tone on the left vs right channel, so it was not that easy to get that nice stereo spread. I even had to narrow the stereo image of the guitars because of the amount of phase cancellation they were causing and the consequent loss of mono compatibility. This would've most probably been solved if a different amp sim was chosen for the double tracked parts; these are the kind of things which need to be addressed on the production stage.
I found the vocals not particularly easy to mix either. As well as some tuning correction requirements which I decided to ignore, the vocals tracks lack a lot of dynamic control. They may have been recorded with little to no compression at all. I'm not entirely confident of how well the vocals sit on my mix, they kinda feel out of place. If you people have any suggestion I may do a revision of this mix later. I also feel like I could've work harder on carefully crafting my vocal delays and reverbs.
Overall I went for dynamics rather than max loudness, allowing the transients of the drums to really poke through the mix. Since the production of this track is really raw and straightforward, with no emphasis on transitions between the different sections and such I decided that creating contrast and maintaining some dynamics was the way to go here, but I'm curious about what you people think about my approach. Does it fit the song? Any suggestions?

.mp3    The Black Crown - Cage - MIX2 by elgatocamisas.mp3 --  (Download: 12 MB)

Just printed this new version with different settings on the 2-bus compression and a couple of subtle changes here and there.
Tell me which one you think it's best!

.mp3    The Black Crown - Cage - MIX4 by elgatocamisas.mp3 --  (Download: 12 MB)