Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturn Syndicate: 'Catch The Wave'
Hi!
What a nice song to mix  Big Grin
This is my try
Cheers

.mp3    SaturnSyndicate_CatchTheWave.mp3 --  (Download: 9.75 MB)

Pep from Pepus Estudi
Bus-Comp Warm-Audio, Focal Alpha 80, Klark Teknik 76-KT, Klark Teknik EQP-KT, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, X Touch One Behringer, Arturia MiniLab mkII, 
Mackie Big Knob, Sonarworks SoundID Reference,
Cakewalk by Bandlab
This is a good mix, i dont have too much to say as everything i would mention seems intentional so becomes preference. I like what youve done with the backing vocals makes them fit well, you seem to have a clear intention with everything in here.
Hi!

Yeah I agree this is pretty good.

I guess you could put this down to taste or preference - there's a couple of things I picked up on if you were looking to add that extra level of polish:

I’m feeling the drums and bass could come back just a touch, as for me they are bit on the heavy side and are overpowering the rest of the mix a bit. The snare could do with a little bit of lighter sound and perhaps a touch of 80s style reverb perhaps? The main thing I noticed is to me the volume of the vocal in each chorus seems to drop at the start on the word ’the’ after the ‘catch’ each time? I think it’s also a bit lower in volume than the verses. Considering the work put in to the rest of the mix I was expecting that you might have given the filtering of the drums during the breakdown section a go too Smile.

Just sharing my thoughts that I hope might be of some use?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(18-08-2022, 06:39 AM)Ys Man Wrote: This is a good mix, i dont have too much to say as everything i would mention seems intentional so becomes preference. I like what youve done with the backing vocals makes them fit well, you seem to have a clear intention with everything in here.
Thank you for your comments!
Pep from Pepus Estudi
Bus-Comp Warm-Audio, Focal Alpha 80, Klark Teknik 76-KT, Klark Teknik EQP-KT, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, X Touch One Behringer, Arturia MiniLab mkII, 
Cakewalk by Bandlab
(18-08-2022, 04:58 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Yeah I agree this is pretty good.

I guess you could put this down to taste or preference - there's a couple of things I picked up on if you were looking to add that extra level of polish:

I’m feeling the drums and bass could come back just a touch, as for me they are bit on the heavy side and are overpowering the rest of the mix a bit. The snare could do with a little bit of lighter sound and perhaps a touch of 80s style reverb perhaps?  The main thing I noticed is to me the volume of the vocal in each chorus seems to drop at the start on the word ’the’ after the ‘catch’ each time? I think it’s also a bit lower in volume than the verses.  Considering the work put in to the rest of the mix I was expecting that you might have given the filtering of the drums during the breakdown section a go too Smile.

Just sharing my thoughts that I hope might be of some use?

Cheers!
Hi Mike!
Thanks for your comments. I made a second mix trying to fix the problems.
Cheers
Pep from Pepus Estudi
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Second Mix!!!!!

Controlling the lows (bass and kick), a 80's snare sound and automation the voice on the whole song.
Thanks for listening.
Cheers

.mp3    SaturnSyndicate_CatchTheWavev2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.66 MB)

Pep from Pepus Estudi
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Hi supep, v2 sound good! The snare could use a little more 80's reverb for my taste. also, maybe the bass synths are a little loud. I think if you would lower them in the mix the rest will breathe a little more, but good job man!
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
Hi!

Vocal is spot on in v2, great job.

I feel there is still a slight issue with the bass though.

I don't think the problem is with the level of the bass as such... (in fact for the chorus it could possibly be a bit more prominent). I think the best way to try and explain it is that I feel it needs to live more in the midrange, rather than the sub area if that makes sense? (Check the chorus of the library mix to hear what I'm trying to explain). I think I high passed all the basses to around 80-100 Hz if that helps? If you cut the low end you can have the bass sounding a bit more forward without it masking the kick and making the low end of the mix too heavy.

What do you think? It's still a good mix though Smile.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey!
I'm agree with both. I need to fix the bass zone on the song.
Give me some days to have time to remix this song.
Thanks for your comments Smile
Pep from Pepus Estudi
Cakewalk by Bandlab