Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catch The Wave (brady85 mix)
what a catchy song!! I love it.

the real challenge for me was mixing the guitars, I didn't want them to pop out but also wanted them to be clear in the mix.
I also added some claps and did some stuff with the vocals.

I hope yall like it and please give me some feedback about my mix. Big Grin

------------------------------

Added a new version and focussed on some of Y's Man's points.

So, What did I  fix?

- reworked the intro a little
- The vocals sound a little brighter and have a little more energy
- Lowered the synth volume a bit.
- made the claps more ambient 
- worked on the guitars a bit
- did some automation on the backing vocals.

-----------------------------

Version 3.0 

- the volume of the drums is a little lower
- less compression on the drums
- guitars a little louder
- a little less glue on the master bus

.mp3    Mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 9.86 MB)

.mp3    Mixdown(2).mp3 --  (Download: 9.86 MB)

.mp3    Mixdown(3).mp3 --  (Download: 9.75 MB)

My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
Hi Brady,
the vocal could do with being a little brighter for me to open it up, some nice ideas but the claps sound too clean compared to the rest, you have a pretty good balance with the instruments but some stuff like the guitars get lost in parts. I think the main synth could come down a bit and some depth added to it. The low end sounds a little muddy, really like the idea of all the big verb on the last synth break, the background vocals also could do with coming down but that might just be preference as i wasnt really feeling them being very audible at all. Its good overall just maybe a little dry and dark.
(17-08-2022, 06:01 AM)Ys Man Wrote: Hi Brady,
the vocal could do with being a little brighter for me to open it up, some nice ideas but the claps sound too clean compared to the rest, you have a pretty good balance with the instruments but some stuff like the guitars get lost in parts. I think the main synth could come down a bit and some depth added to it. The low end sounds a little muddy, really like the idea of all the big verb on the last synth break, the background vocals also could do with coming down but that might just be preference as i wasnt really feeling them being very audible at all. Its good overall just maybe a little dry and dark.
Thanks for listening! I made a new version where I focussed on some of the things you mentioned. Cool
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Hi!

Listening to v2...

My thoughts:

The main thing for me is that I think the kick and snare are a bit heavy for my taste. I think if you could have them a bit lower in the mix this would have the effect of brightening up the mix and would enable the synths and guitar parts to shine through a bit better.

Not sure if the drums are also a bit too compressed overall? For tracks like this I feel you can leave the drums feeling more electronic if that makes sense? In general the volume of electronic instruments is quite stable in the mix, so I find you can get away with lighter touch from compression - just use enough to sit them in the mix. I don’t feel you have to fight them as much to get them to punch through, as you would with real drums.

I feel the rest of the mix, the balances, etc is pretty good and on point, but things are perhaps just being overshadowed by the drums a touch too much for me.

Anyway, hope that helps? Keep it up!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(17-08-2022, 07:56 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Listening to v2...

My thoughts:

The main thing for me is that I think the kick and snare are a bit heavy for my taste.  I think if you could have them a bit lower in the mix this would have the effect of brightening up the mix and would enable the synths and guitar parts to shine through a bit better.

Not sure if the drums are also a bit too compressed overall?  For tracks like this I feel you can leave the drums feeling more electronic if that makes sense?  In general the volume of electronic instruments is quite stable in the mix, so I find you can get away with lighter touch from compression - just use enough to sit them in the mix. I don’t feel you have to fight them as much to get them to punch through, as you would with real drums.

I feel the rest of the mix, the balances, etc is pretty good and on point, but things are perhaps just being overshadowed by the drums a touch too much for me.

Anyway, hope that helps?  Keep it up!

Cheers!
hey Mikej, I think you are right... I did use some compression on the drums and it might be a little too much. Could be my metal background haha.

I'm gonna fix it in version 3.0  Big Grin
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Added a new version Smile
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Hi!

I kind of had the opposite problem and had to work hard to figure out what to do with real drum tracks, as opposed to drum machines!

Listening on headphones to mix V3 - for me the drums are now sitting a whole lot better. They still cut through with some punch, and it's made the whole mix feel a lot clearer and more balanced. Nice work!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Version 3 sounds great, i still think the vocal needs some upper air just to free it up a bit, also the lows compete with the backing vocals at points. I think you might benefit making the drums less dry to give the snare more tail and push the hats back a little, great tone on the guitars, the synths sit nicely now. I like this mix and your personal touches
I listened to V3..really nice.. you gave the song a very nice vibe/movement/impact and it was a pleasure listening to it!!!
some things I didn't fancy is just personal taste, so I wont comment on those.. good job!!
thanks for the comments!
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro