Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Good wolf - Tourism (Shakusky)
It's ok. Just making some fun to lower the tension.
Yeah I got it, I just realised I forgot to apologise in my earlier post Smile.

Anyway, (and more importantly), lets get back to the mix!

If you check out the library version, for me it's the drums and vocal that are quite prominent, with the rest of the instruments kind of filling in the space between. Particularly listen out to the kick and the snare and notice how clearly you can hear them, and also how much space they are taking up.

With your mix you kind of have the instuments and vocals up front with the drums more towards the background. Might be worth trying just playing the drums and vocal and getting them where you want them, then sneak in the instruments around them, which might just change the feel in the right direction I think. Also pay attention to the transitions in the track and use automation, etc to ensure a smooth flow between sections.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(16-08-2022, 02:48 PM)roy Wrote: It's not Mikej's call it's Mike Senior's call. We just err on the side of caution. Sure, worse has been said (probably by me) and we don't catch everything but it can't hurt to call out things that might bother some users. Namely schools who might point students to the site for learning purposes. While I might be fond of the effin' and the jeffin', it can't hurt to keep it clean and isn't really that hard to do. It's nothing personal.
Gee, I didn't mean to piss anybody off. Can you imagine all of the the colleges just reeling in agony that possibly, just possibly, a sight they allow their students to visit might have a dirty word on it somewhere. What could be happening in our clean-cut christian theocracy that music sites (remember "sex, drugs and rock 'n roll"?) would or even could possible have a dirty word uttered. What is this world coming to?

I've been on this forum for years. I have seen attacks on participants here that would warrant disciplinary actions, but this is Ron DeSantis territory. I'm calling you out.

Apologies to Shakusky for causing this bout of stupidity.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I mean, it's just how the forum is run. No one is angry about it. It's not a big deal. Mike Senior just likes to keep the board as clean as can be for the reasons already stated. Yes there may be or have been other posts that might have been worse but the mods can't catch everything. If you see something questionable feel free to report it.

If you have any issue with the policy feel free to contact Mike Senior and maybe he'll change it. Until then, it is what it is and I think we can all discuss mixing in a way that is universally acceptable for various considerations.
To clarify:

These are the current forum rules: The Three Commandments

I do my utmost to treat everyone equally, fairly and with respect. As I expect others to do the same. With this in mind, my personal view is that I feel it would be unfair to all the members of this forum if I were to ignore some things and not others.

This is exactly why I gave a short, simple and respectful reminder of the forum rules. Precisely so people cannot accuse me of picking up on one thing and not another. (I have also noted post #13). I have not been at all heavy handed, have not tried to make a big deal out of this, have not made any personal attacks, or cast any aspertions.

True, I don't always notice everything that goes on, and I'm not always going to get it right. However, I do try my best to ensure that everyone can discuss mixing in a constructive manner in line with the spirit of this forum.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(16-08-2022, 08:25 PM)mikej Wrote: Yeah I got it,  I just realised I forgot to apologise in my earlier post Smile

Anyway, (and more importantly), lets get back to the mix!

If you check out the library version, for me it's the drums and vocal that are quite prominent, with the rest of the instruments kind of filling in the space between.  Particularly listen out to the kick and the snare and notice how clearly you can hear them, and also how much space they are taking up.

With your mix you kind of have the instuments and vocals up front with the drums more towards the background.  Might be worth trying just playing the drums and vocal and getting them where you want them, then sneak in the instruments around them, which might just change the feel in the right direction I think.  Also pay attention to the transitions in the track and use automation, etc to ensure a smooth flow between sections.

Cheers!
Thanks for your comments! I've uploaded v2 of the song. I've tried to add more space for kick and snare and slightly tightened the instruments around them. Added few eq tweaks that In my opinion help to make a little bit of more space between instruments. Again thanks for your input!

Best!
(17-08-2022, 05:20 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(16-08-2022, 02:48 PM)roy Wrote: It's not Mikej's call it's Mike Senior's call. We just err on the side of caution. Sure, worse has been said (probably by me) and we don't catch everything but it can't hurt to call out things that might bother some users. Namely schools who might point students to the site for learning purposes. While I might be fond of the effin' and the jeffin', it can't hurt to keep it clean and isn't really that hard to do. It's nothing personal.
Gee, I didn't mean to piss anybody off. Can you imagine all of the the colleges just reeling in agony that possibly, just possibly, a sight they allow their students to visit might have a dirty word on it somewhere. What could be happening in our clean-cut christian theocracy that music sites (remember "sex, drugs and rock 'n roll"?) would or even could possible have a dirty word uttered. What is this world coming to?

I've been on this forum for years. I have seen attacks on participants here that would warrant disciplinary actions, but this is Ron DeSantis territory. I'm calling you out.

Apologies to Shakusky for causing this bout of stupidity.

No worries at all. As I said before thanks for your comments. I'll check your mix and write back asap!

Best!