Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Good wolf - Tourism (Shakusky)
Hi!
This is my take on this wonderful song! I specially love the voice of the singer. It is really well performed, it has a great balance between emotion and control.  It is been a pleasure to mix it but it had its challenges. Taming the hi hat on certain parts of the song being one of the most difficult ones. I've done tons of automation in order to keep song dynamic but with a sense of tightness avoiding to over compress in excess the mix. There are no samples on the drums, just its natural sound. I've  tried to find a good blend of the room mics, definitively on the dry side. I didn't get too fancy with the fxs, just room reverb and delay to give some depth and keep it simple. I didn't do any kind of editing or time alignment and kept the amp buzz noise. It's like the old school imperfect songs that were recorded live with all the band playing at the same time in the same room.  Please lemme know what you think!!!
Cheers!
Shakusky

.mp3    Our Good Wolf - Tourism.mp3 --  (Download: 9.88 MB)

.mp3    Our Good Wolf - Tourism v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.88 MB)

Shak,
I like your approach and your description above is very informative. You set my expectations high.
What I am hearing is something far too tightly packed with a lot of things vying for very limited space. Relax it some. Let the room breath and open up the space a bit more until things can find their place. One thing I might suggest is soloing up the individual room mics and squashing the piss out of them, just to hear what you can hear.  Adjust your attack and release settings to glue those sources as you think fit. Try adding an EQ to clean up the trash, then see what you can make of that. Open up the compressors as needed to add life, if necessary.  The melodies of this song are somewhat haunting, don't you think? Maybe echo that in the environment but don't swamp it. Another suggestion, which you may already do, is listen a few times through at very low level and note what you hear or what might stick out that you can't realize at higher listening levels. Address those things appropriately. I don't know if any of that is helpful for you.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
First, sorry for my late answer! I've been on vacation and didn't have the chance to check the forum. Thank you a lot Mixinthecloud for taking your time to listen to my mix and your notes. You are completely right, when I checked the mix again, I noticed what you said about everything sounding packed. The Mixed sounded over compressed and lifeless and I absolutely wasn't listening this at my studio. You really have good ears! So, in order to check what was going on I've opened my mix session again and realized that all my automation was suspended and for whatever reason my mixbus compressor threshold was way beyond than I thought I left. I think this happened due to the fact I've messed up with my controller just before doing the bounce and also because It was really late at night. Anyway, now I've verified and attached the correct version. I've also done also some small tweaks based on your notes. I know still has some work to do, but I hope you have a better impression on this one. Again, thanks for your time and you have been very helpful!

Best Regards.

Shakusky.
Mitc, please mind your language so that schools and colleges don't block this site.

Many Thanks.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(16-08-2022, 01:29 PM)mikej Wrote: Mitc, please mind your language so that schools and colleges don't block this site.

Many Thanks.
Pardon?  Which language is that?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I feel one should maintain a certain modicum of decorum when squashing one's room mics, if that helps.

Yes, its perhaps a small thing, but is a forum rule I try to apply fairly and consistently.

Many Thanks.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(16-08-2022, 02:01 PM)mikej Wrote: I feel one should maintain a certain modicum of decorum when squashing one's room mics, if that helps.

Yes, its perhaps a small thing, but is a forum rule I try to apply fairly and consistently.

Many Thanks.
Sorry. SQUASH THE URINE...

Truthfully, if you are worried about a transgression so minuscule as this, this forum is in worse shape than I had dared to imagine.
This is laughable. What puritanical world could you possibly be living in Mike?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
It's not Mikej's call it's Mike Senior's call. We just err on the side of caution. Sure, worse has been said (probably by me) and we don't catch everything but it can't hurt to call out things that might bother some users. Namely schools who might point students to the site for learning purposes. While I might be fond of the effin' and the jeffin', it can't hurt to keep it clean and isn't really that hard to do. It's nothing personal.
Woah! I got very excited when I saw 7 comments on my post  (Never before have I had such amount).  Then...  I saw It wasn't nothing related to the mix Big Grin  ??. Oh my lord!!! why me????  Wink
Sorry about that. Apologies to OP.

Cheers!