Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix & Master of Saturn Syndicate: 'Catch The Wave' - Impressive Sounds Studio
(29-07-2022, 11:11 AM)Ys Man Wrote:
(29-07-2022, 10:11 AM)Lynx_TWO Wrote:
(29-07-2022, 05:38 AM)Y Wrote: the bass sounds better but i feel there is some over compression going on here, these multis sound fairly good unprocessed so balancing them first with no plugins should get you close to where you want to be, i do like the tone from the snare on this definately heading in the right direction. Also i would ignore targetting any loudness levels and true peaks concentrate on clipping and what sounds good, all this -14 lufs and -1 true peak is nonsense after mastering anyway so if anything for mix reference you should be aiming more toward -6 db but i think most of us here limit on the final to a mastered loudness anyway. Check some commercial stuff out none of it is at those levels, spotify will normalise but if you turn off the normalisation you will see everything pretty much is limited at 0db and as mp3 or whatever format they use digitally clips quite alot
There's actually zero compression being used on anything other than an overall very light compression using POWAIR by SoundRadix to "glue" everything together, and compression on the vocals (also pretty light, nothing extreme.  I like to use DynaRide2 to ride vocals side-chained to the other instrument buses minus drums bus.  I personally hate compression unless absolutely necessary).  I also always export Instruments and Vocals separately to do the final master as it's just easier to get the balance right (for example, I prefer the vocals 1dB down but someone thought they should be more "powerful" but these raw vocals don't have any frequencies in the low end, obviously).  The LUFS is the very last thing I think about; that's just a limit in Reaper.  When I say "Target" I mean "set the Loudness Normalization to -14LUFS and Limit True peak to -1.5dB".  Literally, no thought is needed, Reaper can do this now in the final Render dialog.  I mean, I could run two passes with FabFilter's L2 and do basic math to set the second pass,  but no need these days.  At long as the limiter isn't taking more than a couple of dB off the peaks, I don't worry about it; Reaper's limiter is just fine.
Ok taking into account everything you have said i would try and fine tune the balance a bit, try and remove some muddiness from the bass and kick to seperate and define them, and general balance this sort of track can always be on the brighter side without being harsh, ill reiterate i like the snares sound the rest just needs some definition, also try exporting raw with no normalisation, i personally wouldnt trust using it all that should be done in the mix. also forgot to mention you have alot going on below 30hz which can be removed
Will look at it.  Yea I synthesize down to 10Hz since I have the subwoofers to reproduce those frequencies.  Personal preference though, I get that. I could probably sharpen up the bass in the time domain.
Final

.m4a    Cambridge feat. Saturn Syndicate - Catch The Wave - Mix & Master by Daniel Boyd.m4a --  (Download: 9.57 MB)