Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember December - C U Next Time 2.0
Hi,

Had another quick go at this last night.

Cheers!

Update:

Mix 2.1

Trying to remember what I did... Vocals down 2 or 3 db. Think I pushed the kick level up a touch.  Rebalanced master eq slightly to make the overall balance a little more mid forward which makes the guitars a little more aggressive. Oh, I pushed the limiter a touch more too, but not by much.

Mix 2.2

Attempt to get the toms aligned correctly. Great catch Blackcapaudio!

.mp3    Remember December C U Next Time 2.0.mp3 --  (Download: 8.63 MB)

.mp3    Remember December C U Next Time 2.1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.63 MB)

.mp3    Remember December C U Next Time 2.2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.63 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi Mike!
I'm digging the more natural drum sound you've got on this one - your snare rolls sound much more real than mine do! Also your vocal is really good, I had a problem with giving it energy and then also de-essing it effectively where you seem to have nailed that better. I also loved the vocal effects on the bridge, that's a good touch - same with the lead line into the last chorus. 

Strings perhaps become too much of a wash on that last chorus and it takes some of the punch out of the drums so you could maybe lower them a bit and also don't be afraid to sit the vocal down into the mix a bit more for a rock track - you're vocal is super intelligible and loud and if you push it down a bit volume wise it makes the instruments appear like they're louder and even more rocking. Totally a preference and vibe thing though perhaps more than a critique. Good work, I'm gonna check out a few of your other rock mixes you mentioned.

Thanks!
If it helps, vocal was eq /1176 / de-esser (and possibly a limiter, can't remember off hand). De-esser is eq into compressor sidechain though.

Fair shout on the strings. I thought I'd tucked them in enough but you are right, I have not. I agree with you regarding the vocals. I didn't automate them and basically set the levels for the last chorus. Avril Lavigne and Machine Gun Kelly were maybe not the coolest pop/punk mixes to reference Big Grin. Compared to the library mix I think I can make the drums a bit louder/punchier and the guitars and mix a bit more mid forward too.

I'll try and post a revision later as I feel it's worth giving it another go.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi!

Added mix 2.1

Trying to remember what I did...

Vocals down 2 or 3 db. Think I pushed the kick level up a touch. Rebalanced master eq slightly to make the overall balance a little more mid forward which makes the guitars a little more aggressive. Oh, I pushed the limiter a touch more too, but not by much.

Cheers!
Hey Mike!

Version 2.1 is a big improvement - I like the louder kick and the vocal is awesome again, I personally like it dropped down a bit, I think it sits much better now! Noticed that your floor Tom has been nudged along the timeline a bit as it’s like a beat off from where it should be? My tracks hit on the same beat as the snare but on this one it’s hitting in the gaps, it’s most obvious on the second pre-chorus.

Anyway other than that, good work on this one!

Thanks!
Hi,

Thanks. I'll take a look at the toms... I replaced with samples, but did I forget to check the alignment after? I thought they generally sounded a bit off, but put that down to my rather poor choice of samples rather than the timing.

Cheers!
I think  this song is in the wrong section.Is not this a rock song ?
(02-08-2022, 10:03 PM)Mammy Wrote: I think  this song is in the wrong section.Is not this a rock song ?

Dunno. It's kind of pop-punk I guess. It's listed as Alt Pop/Rock if that helps?

Cheers!
(02-08-2022, 09:31 PM)Blackcapaudio Wrote: Hey Mike!

Version 2.1 is a big improvement - I like the louder kick and the vocal is awesome again, I personally like it dropped down a bit, I think it sits much better now! Noticed that your floor Tom has been nudged along the timeline a bit as it’s like a beat off from where it should be? My tracks hit on the same beat as the snare but on this one it’s hitting in the gaps, it’s most obvious on the second pre-chorus.

Anyway other than that, good work on this one!

Thanks!

Hi!

You were spot on! One of the toms tracks was out of alignment. I hope I've managed to put it back in the right spot now in mix 2.2.

Cheers!