Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jack Hutcheson - The Narcissist
Cool song to mix
Can't tell if I got the second part right, still sounds pretty "synthetic" to me.
I guess I need to learn how can I make it sound real enough

Cheers

Edit (v1 R02) - 28.07.2022
Revision based on aftercutrecords suggestions and feedback
It sounds better now, thanks!

Edit (v1 R03) - 29.08.2022
Brightening up the guitars a bit

.mp3    Jack Hutcheson - The Narcissist v1 R01.mp3 --  (Download: 10.02 MB)

.mp3    Jack Hutcheson - The Narcissist v1 R02.mp3 --  (Download: 9.9 MB)

.mp3    Jack Hutcheson - The Narcissist v1 R03.mp3 --  (Download: 9.91 MB)

MacPro 5,1 - Big Sur | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
Howdy! I like the relative level of your mix and think it's on the right track. However, there's a few things that stand out to me as needing work.

-That clean electric guitar part is SO peaky in the 2k region that it actually hurts me to listen to. I'm not saying that to be mean, it's just how aggressive the 2k is there.
-Overall, the low end is actually really clean. It's totally fine. Everything from 20hz up to around 300hz is good. That's a solid foundation.
-Your midrange is SOOOOO scooped! Everything between 300hz and around 1k is totally gone. You could definitely bring this back in the guitars and orchestration (maybe 400 to 600hz for the guitars, 800hz to 1.2khz for the orchestration?)
-Please, please cut literally everything from about 2khz to about 6khz. Those areas have so much conflict in them that it just creates a buzzing chainsaw sound. You could cut so much of this from the guitars and the cymbals and even the drums rooms and maybe the kick or snare. That would clean up this mix so much, whereas right now this is definitely a problem range.
-Without so much 2khz to 6khz to get in your way, you'll probably notice how actually lacking in high end the mix is. You could actually boost 8khz and above on the entire mix and it would feel so much more airy and natural, while also being bring. It's very blanketed right now, which is probably why you were trying to boost so much of the upper mid. But you don't want that, you want real clean air in the upper regions over 8khz and 10khz.

I hope that can lead you in a direction at the very least, to get it closer to where you want it!
Howdy,

Thanks for listening, and for your thorough feedback.
I will definitely redo, following your suggestions

Cheers,
Andrei
MacPro 5,1 - Big Sur | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA