Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturn Syndicate: 'Catch The Wave'
Hi!

Apologies for delay in getting back to you, sorry it's been a while.

The only real issue I'm noticing is the bass I think in the latest mix. You might be able to get a bit of a cleaner low end on this one by tightening up the bass a little. I think there could be a little resonance or something around 150Hz or so that is sort of 'blooming' over the whole mix. I feel you might be fighting with that a bit balance wise with the kick, mid and top end of the mix if that makes sense?

You might find that the kick can take most of the real low end weight and the bass can slot in and take the rest. Maybe just have the kick and bass playing and high pass the bass until it feels right. Could be that the bass is just a little too loud and is poking out a little too much too of course.

This is more a dance music technique but it might be worth having a play with. Some people have a dedicated channel where they send the kick and bass and compress them both togther. I got it in my template but I rarely (if ever) use it for these mixes to be honest, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I love the latest mix !
I do agree with some of mikej's points. what I did was send a bus from the kick to a compressor on the bass also I did a highpass on almost all the synth parts, this helps with keeping the low end nice and tight.

please check out my mix:
https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=44126
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
(15-08-2022, 09:15 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Apologies for delay in getting back to you, sorry it's been a while.

The only real issue I'm noticing is the bass I think in the latest mix.  You might be able to get a bit of a cleaner low end on this one by tightening up the bass a little.  I think there could be a little resonance or something around 150Hz or so that is sort of 'blooming' over the whole mix. I feel you might be fighting with that a bit balance wise with the kick, mid and top end of the mix if that makes sense? 

You might find that the kick can take most of the real low end weight and the bass can slot in and take the rest.  Maybe just have the kick and bass playing and high pass the bass until it feels right.  Could be that the bass is just a little too loud and is poking out a little too much too of course.

This is more a dance music technique but it might be worth having a play with.  Some people have a dedicated channel where they send the kick and bass and compress them both togther.  I got it in my template but I rarely (if ever) use it for these mixes to be honest, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Cheers!
Thanks mate, was having trouble getting the bass where i want.
(16-08-2022, 10:27 PM)brady85 Wrote: I love the latest mix !
I do agree with some of mikej's points. what I did was send a bus from the kick to a compressor on the bass also I did a highpass on almost all the synth parts, this helps with keeping the low end nice and tight.

please check out my mix:
https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=44126

Thanks brady there is a sidechain on the bass but i think i lowered the ratio quite a bit in this one, most tracks are highpassed on this but the bass is very open at both ends
Hi!
Nice Mix man. The balance of tha tracks is good.
For my taste, I think that the 2-3Khz of the voice needs to control a little bit because sometimes can be a bit harsh.
Good job!
Pep from Pepus Estudi
Bus-Comp Warm-Audio, Focal Alpha 80, Klark Teknik 76-KT, Klark Teknik EQP-KT, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, X Touch One Behringer, Arturia MiniLab mkII, 
Mackie Big Knob, Sonarworks SoundID Reference,
Cakewalk by Bandlab