Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini Simmons - Push and Pull (Nihilistic Glance Mix)
Hi there,

this is my hopelessly overprocessed mix.

Please love it Rolleyes

.mp3    MiniSimmons-PushAndPull_rel_r1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.13 MB)

It doesn't have to sound good to move people - David Byrne
I tried, but I couldn't muster much love. I think I would be more amorous to it if you went the whole nine yards with it. You got adventurous with the drums and electrics but didn't follow through on the acoustic and other elements. Go for it. Show all of the intruments the same twisted love you put in place.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi @Mixinthecloud,
thanks for the time you took to listen and your feedback.
I understand that you 're much in favour of the acoustic guitar being featured in this song and i agree. There are perfectly valid reasons for this.
When i listened to the preview mix there was absolutely no doubt to me: The reference of this song is Marc Bolan, Marc Bolan and T-Rex (which is essentially Marc Bolan). What bugged me was a lack of the protopunkish attitude in the voice. With all the BVs the vocals do not seem to center around that sexy, nihilistic creature. They do sound more like a boys choir in a baptist church. That was my first impression.
My second thought: This is not 1973. It is a "modern" production. Why not try to let the band sound a bit like ... let 's say The Black Keys.
I understood those objectives are a perfectly valid reason to get arrested by the audio police, so i got it on.
My approach, let alone the execution, is definitly not striving for reference qualities. Nevertheless i am quite content with how the vocals came out.
It doesn't have to sound good to move people - David Byrne
(21-08-2022, 01:25 PM)novalix Wrote: Hi @Mixinthecloud,
thanks for the time you took to listen and your feedback.
I understand that you 're much in favour of the acoustic guitar being featured in this song and i agree. There are perfectly valid reasons for this.
When i listened to the preview mix there was absolutely no doubt to me: The reference of this song is Marc Bolan, Marc Bolan and T-Rex (which is essentially Marc Bolan). What bugged me was a lack of the protopunkish attitude in the voice. With all the BVs the vocals do not seem to center around that sexy, nihilistic creature. They do sound more like a boys choir in a baptist church. That was my first impression.
My second thought: This is not 1973. It is a "modern" production. Why not try to let the band sound a bit like ... let 's say The Black Keys.
I understood those objectives are a perfectly valid reason to get arrested by the audio police, so i got it on.
My approach, let alone the execution, is definitly not striving for reference qualities. Nevertheless i am quite content with how the vocals came out.
I get all that, but it feels like you didn't quite commit to that with all of the instruments. I wanted to hear more of that twisted approach across the board. That's all I'm saying. I wanted to hear more of your ideas there.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]