Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starnes & Shah - Prodigal Son
Thought it would be easy to mix 19 tracks
Turns out it's not, but hope it turned out fine

Cheers

.mp3    Starnes And Shah - Prodigal Son v1 R01.mp3 --  (Download: 6.24 MB)

MacPro 5,1 - Big Sur | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
Hah you fell for the trap! I purposefully uploaded these badly recorded tracks as a test!
Not really but that helps me sleep at night. In my defense it was recorded in a basement. And frankly I think it turned out ok considering.

Keep in mind I'm really bad at critiques.

It turned out fine.

I like the bass and drum sounds. Maybe it's a bit too compressed by the end but that's just something I noticed and not something that bothers me. I think it works.

I think the main guitar could be back a hair more or maybe just a cut in the mids that overlap the vocal. It doesn't mask the vocal at all but theres a build up in that area. It's a fairly throaty guitar sound.

I like the accent guitar after the first chorus. The panning is cool. All the other guitar fills feel fine.

The BgVx all seem to work though I've never been happy with them on this track.

There's no real complaints. I think there could be some (subtle) ear candy effects. Maybe something on the vocal that highlights different sections. Different vocal eqs? I dunno. In the end it's a very simple arrangement and could use something to add a little more spice and interest and other je ne sais quoi.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Don't hate me.
Hey roy,

First of all, thanks a lot for the multi-tracks, really cool song...(although that snare sound...)
Also, thanks for listening to my mix, and taking your time to write

Yeah, I agree with you, the track needs more ear candy
Although it's my first revision, I've made some minor tweaks a few times, and re-uploaded it, it seems to me that the kick and snare don't work too good together, or there's something I'm missing or didn't think doing to the sounds (not that inspired yet...)

Maybe I'll do another revision based on your critiques, hope it will get better

Cheers,
Andrei

P.S I don't hate you Wink
MacPro 5,1 - Big Sur | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
Yeah, the snare has a lot of ringing and overtones. It was a song he liked I guess. I remember making several very narrow cuts in the the 500hz and 750hz range. And he played the majority of this song with bundles which makes the snare sound a little different than usual. In retrospect this would have been a nice if he used brushes. Oh well.