Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini Simmons - Push and Pull [Damian Oakes Mix]
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society.

I've been re-reading Tony Visconti's autobiography and listening along to the songs he mentions (I'm about to start the chapters on Thin Lizzy and the Berlin Trilogy), so I've been listening to a lot of T.Rex and David Bowie; naturally, when I saw the latest song was labeled "Classic/Glam Rock," I couldn't resist!

.mp3    Mini Simmons - Push and Pull.mp3 --  (Download: 8.46 MB)

.mp3    Mini Simmons - Push and Pull mk. II.mp3 --  (Download: 8.46 MB)

Really nice and balanced. I like the modulation of the background vocals. For my taste, the guitar on the left and the solo guitar is a bit too harsh in the highs, but that's a problem the raw tracks already had. The lead vox can be pulled up a few db's, too. Nevertheless, a very good mix!
(17-07-2022, 02:11 PM)NiceDuck Wrote: Really nice and balanced. I like the modulation of the background vocals. For my taste, the guitar on the left and the solo guitar is a bit too harsh in the highs, but that's a problem the raw tracks already had. The lead vox can be pulled up a few db's, too. Nevertheless, a very good mix!
Thank you for your feedback, you were spot on on both counts. I uploaded a second version with the offending guitars attenuated and the vocals brought up, plus I completely redid the mastering, much more to my liking. Big Grin
(19-07-2022, 06:15 AM)Damian Oakes Wrote:
(17-07-2022, 02:11 PM)NiceDuck Wrote: Really nice and balanced. I like the modulation of the background vocals. For my taste, the guitar on the left and the solo guitar is a bit too harsh in the highs, but that's a problem the raw tracks already had. The lead vox can be pulled up a few db's, too. Nevertheless, a very good mix!
Thank you for your feedback, you were spot on on both counts. I uploaded a second version with the offending guitars attenuated and the vocals brought up, plus I completely redid the mastering, much more to my liking. Big Grin
Much more to my liking, too Smile Great Job!
Hi!

I felt the need to take a bit of a break and get some distance from my own mix of this before commenting, so I could approach this one fresh - hence a bit of delay in getting round to checking out your mix.

I'm guessing you're going for a vintage T.Rex thing, which to me is perhaps a thinner sort of a sound than maybe things are today. Listening to V2. It's pretty cool. I think you've certainly captured that vibe.

Only a couple of things that stick out a bit for me. I like your use of the clap part as an accent with the reverb. It works well - but I'm finding it just a touch too transient/sharp in the mix for me I think. The bongos panned out to the right works really well, but I'm not sure the guitar solo joining them out there quite works. The solo feels just a touch too far out to me, especially on headphones. Might benefit from being brought in a touch, or just up the middle - like in Ride A White Swan, for example (as an aside the guitars are actually quite bright in that track).

Good stuff.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!