Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Song of India minimalist mix by Draper Carter
I barely touched the tracks with processing. A little eq here and there, maybe an amp sim on the bass di *gasp!* I like the soundscape that I got, and i think the balance is strong. What do you hear?

.mp3    song of india mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.89 MB)

Sounds really good to me. My only thought is maybe the bass can come down just a bit.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Yeah, I wrestled with it some, whether to keep it traditional and feathery on the low end, but I decided to go for a more modern "Maynard ferguson" bass feel. Thank you very much!
I agree on the bass but it is not objectionable where it is. To me, it's just a matter of taste. Your mix seems to have come out quite clean and this surprises me given the problems I found in the recording/performance when I started working on this one. Nicely done.

How'd you get that bass to clean up anyway? That was one of things I struggled with. The mic had one set of problems and the DI another with both suffering (apparently) from the technique of the performer as well.
Old West Audio
Using the mic on the bass, I used it for its warmth and natural string click. I ran the DI through the Bass Live Room plugin in DP, and I was able to get the clarity. Thanks for the compliment and the feedback!
Wayne, I forgot to mention the fact that I used much more compression on the bass than I would like to admit.