Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Good Wolf howls on Tourism
Not sure why this song is named Tourism, but it certainly offered up some challenges.

Hello CMT mixers.

I have not posted here in a while, but I am glad to add my take on this song to the fold.

First challenge for me was figuring out the room mics and using them to help define the drum width and space. As these were just numbered tracks without any reference to placement, I spent some good time moving them around in the stereo field to find something which made sense. Once I settled on a sound field I liked (used lots of compression and EQ) it defined how the rest of the instruments and voices laid into it. And those were the other challenges. Early mixes were very monoral but eventually I crafted some ways of spreading things out to obtain the density, dynamics and liveliness I was looking for, for the song. 
A surprising amount of automation was used with particular moves done by verse and chorus to give the song some more character and movement as the song progresses.
Let me know what you think of the mix and the choices made.

Enjoy,
As always, your friend, mITc

.mp3    Tourism.mp3 --  (Download: 9.87 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Very nicely done.
Bass seems to be a couple db loud covering the kick a bit and even distracting the vocal to a degree.
Drums seems boxy and dry room mics provided plenty of ambience so not sure why that is.
I try to be objective and not let personal prefrences guide my critique so that's all I got.
Good mix very listenable.

Cheers
Moto
Hey mitc , I like the mix but at 0:40 some weird phasing begins happening to the vocals which completely buries it in the mix. Cheers!
(13-07-2022, 07:02 PM)motomojo Wrote: Very nicely done.
Bass seems to be a couple db loud covering the kick a bit and even distracting the vocal to a degree.
Drums seems boxy and dry room mics provided plenty of ambience so not sure why that is.
I try to be objective and not let personal prefrences guide my critique so that's all I got.
Good mix very listenable.

Cheers
Moto
Hey Moto. thanks for the listen. You could be right about the bass as it does seem to ring in a few places.
I'm not sure I understand your comment on the drums, rooms mics and boxiness.
Again, thanks for the listen.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(25-07-2022, 03:31 PM)latanielvss. Wrote: Hey mitc , I like the mix but at 0:40 some weird phasing begins happening to the vocals which completely buries it in the mix. Cheers!
True that. I added some kind of chorusing there in the second half of the phrase for movement and variety. Made you notice... Cool Smile Wink
Thanks for the listen
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]