Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaf Summerghost mix
Hello all! First mix here on cambridge very cool site.I still have more things to finish on the mix ,but would like to hear your thoughts on how it is sounding so far.I find it better at this stage to readjust some things know than later.
Thanks for the listen.

.mp3    Leaf summer ghost.mp3 --  (Download: 8.9 MB)

snare sounds like it needs its phase switched. I also feel like it's missing a cohesive feel, but also a little muddy at parts. Maybe mixed with the levels too high over all? It's not terribly distorted, but there are some driven parts that don't totally feel like a choice that was made. But, just one guy's opinion. Not a bad attempt at all, just pointing to what I hear. Thanks for submitting it!
Hello

Nice mix.
That drumfill sound is not good. It doesn't blend well in either genre or song. But that just my opinion.
To me it sounds that the later part after the break is better balanced than the beginning.
At the beginning vocals are just a hint too low and drums sounds to be closer to listener than vocals.
Also the beginning is a little narrow but you probably wanted it that way so there is room for the mix to grow later in chorus.
Overall I would like a more dreamy sound (but not dark or dull). Maybe a little more effects. Maybe something more for those hard panned guitars?

I don't like the fade out end. It somehow doesn't fit and it sounds more like apology.
”Nothing to listen here anymore. Move along.”
There is still that second guitar that start in the fade out and I don't think that could be the ending the artist wanted. Try make some hooks in your mix to keep it interesting at least until the guitar part can start full and maybe then fade out.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
Quote:Posted by loweche6 snare sounds like it needs its phase switched. I also feel like it's missing a cohesive feel, but also a little muddy at parts.

Thanks i change the phase on 2nd snare and also had the pre delay on verb set to high.

Quote:Moonwrist At the beginning vocals are just a hint too low and drums sounds to be closer to listener than vocals.

I also found the vocals a little to low in the verse so i adjusted them up and readjusted the drums a little.

Quote:Moonwrist To me it sounds that the later part after the break is better balanced than the beginning

I have a new version that i rebalanced hopefully its a little better.

Quote:Also the beginning is a little narrow but you probably wanted it that way so there is room for the mix to grow later in chorus.

AS far as the intro being narrow i did want it that way to try an give the song some movement.

Quote:I don't like the fade out end. It somehow doesn't fit and it sounds more like apology.

Ya, that ending i'm not sure how to attack it i dont like how they have it either.

Thanks too you both for the listen and help.

Here is a updated version snare change a little more fx etc...

.mp3    Leaf summerghost.mp3 --  (Download: 8.38 MB)

I like more this lead vocal sound in the second version. It sounds more open and fit better into the mix.
I noticed that the male vocal is a little boomy/boxy/dark in soft phrases/parts. Not sure if you were after that kind of sound? It clearly differ from other vocals and that can be purely artistic choise like that narrow intro widening later.

The drums except the kick could have more lows.
Did you change your master comp/eq? The second mix isn't as hot as the first one.

Still that fade out bothers me. If you have time maybe you could try to make it a little more interesting by fading out different tracks at different time and speed or fading with a lpf?
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.