Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atrophy - 90s pop mix
Hi, here's my take on Doppler Shift's Atrophy, enjoy.

.mp3    Atrophy-Mathias.mp3 --  (Download: 5.58 MB)

Hi Matthias, wow! Really creative and interesting take on this so. I love the way you changed the feel of the verses to create a more staccato effect - I quite enjoyed that! Some really clever edits toward the end too!

Mixwise, I like what you have going on. The mix is maybe a little bit congested in the low mids where the bass, toms and vocals are intersecting. I think if you could clear out that area, the mix would open up and feel a little clearer.

One thing that was apparent in the choruses was that the beautiful punch you had going in the verses got really squashed down by the master buss processing.... so much so that the verses actually feel a little louder than the choruses. I would suggest taking a look at ensuring that you master buss processing is not going into too much gain reduction when it gets hit by all the energy in the chorus - that way, you can keep the punchiness of the drums intact when the chorus hits, and the chorus will be able to hold together better.

Very creative - nice work!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hi Andrew, thanks a lot for your feedback and the kind words!
I completely agree that the mix could be improved by cleaning up the low-mids.
There is less going on in the verses and I felt they didn't need all guitar and synth tracks being present all the time, which made things easier regarding dynamics, compared to the choruses.