Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doppler Shift: Atrophy /Jacko mix
For your consideration. This track was quite enjoyable to mix. Lots going on, some good challenges, and a good, dynamic track. I'd love to hear your opinions.

~ Jacko

.mp3    DopplerShift_Atrophy_test mix.mp3 --  (Download: 12.41 MB)

Hi Jacko, this is sounding very good. I particularly like the way you balanced the verses, and your use of delay in the choruses to give that sense of "epic-ness" that this song deserves.

I like your drum sounds in general - the tom and kick processing are nice. I think maybe the snare could use a little more "beef" to match the thickness of the other drum sounds - Just so you get the same sense of "proportion" and weight in the chorus, even though those thick sounding toms aren't playing there. Overall, the song seems to thin out a bit too much in the chorus, and I think maybe a thicker snare could help alleviate that sense.

One other point - The crash cymbal being ridden in the chorus is really piercing in the high mids. I know this was an issue with the source material, as I struggled with it myself. Perhaps just pulling a little bit of high mids in that 4-7k region out of the OH during those bits might help.

Overall, nice work!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(17-12-2022, 01:45 AM)FytaKyte Wrote: Hi Jacko, this is sounding very good.  I particularly like the way you balanced the verses, and your use of delay in the choruses to give that sense of "epic-ness" that this song deserves.

I like your drum sounds in general - the tom and kick processing are nice.  I think maybe the snare could use a little more "beef" to match the thickness of the other drum sounds - Just so you get the same sense of "proportion" and weight in the chorus, even though those thick sounding toms aren't playing there.  Overall, the song seems to thin out a bit too much in the chorus, and I think maybe a thicker snare could help alleviate that sense.

One other point - The crash cymbal being ridden in the chorus is really piercing in the high mids.  I know this was an issue with the source material, as I struggled with it myself.  Perhaps just pulling a little bit of high mids in that 4-7k region out of the OH during those bits might help.

Overall, nice work!
Great observations. Thank so much for the feedback!