Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schoolboy Fascination (Stepan Zajicek mix)
Hi All,

Well, this was way out of my comfort zone. Despite the number of layers and not being very familiar with the genre, I found this song quite easy to mix. I love the positive vibe and the quirky ideas and the "beatlesque" vocal harmonies. Also the pre-breakdown instrumental section, which completely changes the mood of the song for a moment, is great.

The only real trouble during the mix was blending the acoustic and electric guitars. In the end I decided to hide the electric guitars until the very last chorus, where they appear to make the song sound a bit bigger. The closing vocal was chopped in the source files, so I have replaced with a tuned version of the "radio" vocal from middle of the song, which works fine for me. Comparing to the original mix, I would say mine is much darker, but I guess that is just my style!

Thanks to the song provider for the opportunity to mix this, I'd be curious to hear any feedback!
Stepan

.mp3    Al James - Schoolboy Fascination.mp3 --  (Download: 7.76 MB)

Hi Stepan, I'm guessing your mix isn't mastered, since it's pretty low in volume. However, I think they have an excess of reverb that makes the mix a bit dirty. I think that if the effects were filtered a little more, the mix would gain a lot. However, the mix is ​​not bad.
(16-06-2022, 09:37 AM)Enrique Wrote: Hi Stepan, I'm guessing your mix isn't mastered, since it's pretty low in volume. However, I think they have an excess of reverb that makes the mix a bit dirty. I think that if the effects were filtered a little more, the mix would gain a lot. However, the mix is not bad.
Hi Enrique, thanks so much for your feedback, I really appretiate it! You're absolutely right, once you made me aware of this, the reverb problem was absolutely obvious. In fact, it was mostly my "fake drum room" sound I used to liven the drums a bit, but went too far. I have fixed this and made some of other changes while I was at it. I have also done some rudimentary mastering to get it to a competetive level. It would be great to hear what you think Wink

Cheers!
Stepan

.mp3    Al James - Schoolboy Fascination_RevB.mp3 --  (Download: 7.69 MB)

(18-06-2022, 08:24 PM)SZajicek Wrote:
(16-06-2022, 09:37 AM)Enrique Wrote: Hi Stepan, I'm guessing your mix isn't mastered, since it's pretty low in volume. However, I think they have an excess of reverb that makes the mix a bit dirty. I think that if the effects were filtered a little more, the mix would gain a lot. However, the mix is not bad.
Hi Enrique, thanks so much for your feedback, I really appretiate it! You're absolutely right, once you made me aware of this, the reverb problem was absolutely obvious. In fact, it was mostly my "fake drum room" sound I used to liven the drums a bit, but went too far. I have fixed this and made some of other changes while I was at it. I have also done some rudimentary mastering to get it to a competetive level. It would be great to hear what you think Wink

Cheers!
Stepan
Hi Stephen!!! This version is much better. It already has a pretty good volume although you could still turn it up another 2 or 3 dBs. Much better now the reverb, puts the voice more forward. Good correction.
Cheers!
(26-06-2022, 12:11 PM)Enrique Wrote:
(18-06-2022, 08:24 PM)SZajicek Wrote:

Cheers!
Stepan
Hi Stephen!!! This version is much better. It already has a pretty good volume although you could still turn it up another 2 or 3 dBs. Much better now the reverb, puts the voice more forward. Good correction.
Cheers!

Hi Enrique, awesome, thanks for the feedback!

Stepan