Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Good Wolf - Tourism (2nd mix)
I already posted a mix before, but because the 1st was so radically different and out in left field (by that I mean absolutely atrocious), I felt it would be best to post a brand new mix in it's own thread.
Also, I recently learned this band is from my hometown, Edmonton, Canada. This song spoke to me from the beginning for some reason unbeknownst to me, most likely because in my 20's I literally did what the lyrics suggested- leave that exact town for somewhere that makes ice uncomfortable. Funny how life works sometimes. Cool band and song.

.mp3    Our Good Wolf - Tourism Master 4 May 2022.mp3 --  (Download: 9.82 MB)

Hi,
i really dig your explaination of the context of your approach to this song.
And you definitly came up with a good and solid mix.
For me one of the problems of the recording is the tonal relationship between the main snare and the bassdrum.
Firstly, they vary a lot.
The snare hits have a varying amount of high mid ringing in the tail. I 've found that leads one to somewhat overemphasize the weighty low end part.
The close mics on the bassdrum carry loads of energy in the 100 - 160Hz area which gets still more load from other sources like the bottom snare and the overhead mics. There is some tonal quality in that area but i feel it is way to much, so that at some places in the performance it sounds "clonky" and/or "floppy".
At one point for me i could hardly distinguish between snare hits (with its ghost notes) and the kick drum.
I (over-)reacted to this situation by vastly cutting the problematic range of the bassdrum mics and putting a series of three de-essers Angel on the snare. One of them automated in when the hi-hats are played open. So i had more leeway to boost the higher mids of the snare.
Could well be, that it's just me chasing dragons.
It doesn't have to sound good to move people - David Byrne