Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
James May - All souls moon - Mixed by TripleS
Hey you all,

Done this wonderful song of James. Had a great time in doing this one.
As usual let me know what you think of it. All comments are appreciated.

grtz,
Jan

.mp3    All Souls Moon Mix 08.mp3 --  (Download: 8.33 MB)

.mp3    All Souls Moon Mix 09.mp3 --  (Download: 8.33 MB)

Gear: Cubase 7.5, Motu 828 mk3, Alesis M1A mk2, Beyerdynamic DT990Pro
Sounds great and well balanced, Jan !
Only the snare sounds really thin for my taste, but I didn't hear the raw tracks, so maybe that's the way it has been captured. Good job !
Erick
Hey Erick,

Thanks for your comments. Regarding to the snare you may have a point. I'll adress that in the coming update of this mix.

grtz,,
Jan
Hi Jan, nice mix , sound s very good!
check out my mix in your time ..
thanks!

Stolarski
Less Is More
Hi Erick,

You we're right about the snare so i fixed it.
Thanks for comments !
grtz,

Jan
Really like this mix. Nice balance across the spectrum. My only comment would be the main Vocs seem to sound a bit bit distant from around 1:30 perhaps automated reverb. Other than than perfect.Smile
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Mahatma Gandhi

Hi,
commenting version 09.
It's very interesting, very controlled and technically I think very good. It seems to me that you're mastering very well the voice treatment and you've introduced some voice handling that would be great to know more about.

How are second voices treated in the first and second choir intervention?
How is the lead voc doubled at 1:45? Rev, flanger, or off-phase (shifted) track doubling? Or a combination?

If I really really have to to find something as improvement hint, I'd just try reduce some air (hi freqs) in the master eq or in key tracks (acu guits and eq the voices and their effects). Not harshness, it's not the case, just a little bit on the bright side, maybe as a cumulation of bright-bringing effects.

thank you!
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
(21-05-2014, 08:36 AM)NosMos Wrote: Really like this mix. Nice balance across the spectrum. My only comment would be the main Vocs seem to sound a bit bit distant from around 1:30 perhaps automated reverb. Other than than perfect.Smile

Hi NosMos,

Thanks for your feedback. The point you mention around 1:30 is where ADT is used on the lead vocals and backing vocals. The backing vocals get some more reverb than the lead vox so maybe this is what you hear. There is no automation involved regarding to the reverb.

grtz,
Jan

(08-06-2014, 12:44 AM)Lammy Wrote: Hi,
commenting version 09.
It's very interesting, very controlled and technically I think very good. It seems to me that you're mastering very well the voice treatment and you've introduced some voice handling that would be great to know more about.

How are second voices treated in the first and second choir intervention?
How is the lead voc doubled at 1:45? Rev, flanger, or off-phase (shifted) track doubling? Or a combination?

If I really really have to to find something as improvement hint, I'd just try reduce some air (hi freqs) in the master eq or in key tracks (acu guits and eq the voices and their effects). Not harshness, it's not the case, just a little bit on the bright side, maybe as a cumulation of bright-bringing effects.

thank you!

Hi Lammy,

Thanks for your kind words about this mix. In this case i used Waves Abbey Road ADT plugin to get that lusshy sound that i think sounds great on James' vocalpart. I used it again on the backing vocals to make them sound a bit bigger without sounding arteficial.

grtz,
Jan
So, to my ear, the drums are a little dry for the track (but that's purely a taste thing). However, I do feel like there is a kind of build up in your lower mids. Something in the track is making it sound "closed." I can't quite put my finger on it, but it is possibly the violin part. Also, the kick sounds fairly quiet, but it also sounds too driven. Might be fighting with the bass frequencies. Generally pretty good, but it does feel a little closed like I said earlier. Thanks for sharing!

Draper