Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crucial Taunt - Mixed By Steef
My mix of this very nice song and well recorded tracks.
I am very curious about your opinion/comments.

.mp3    Umphrey\'s McGee - Crucial Taunt_MixedBySteef.mp3 --  (Download: 11.47 MB)

Sounds good at this end.

I'm very familiar with this song, but haven't posted a mix of it so-far.

A few things to consider:

Don't know if you've seen the Telefunken 'Live from the Lab' video that goes with this song?
If not, it will give you some extra perspective on the guitar positions. From what I'm hearing,
both guitars are out of balance; the one of the left [as seen on the video] on is too loud, and the
other one on the right [as seen on the video] is quite ''buried' in this mix. Both guitars compliment
each other very nicely when balanced. I like what you did with the drum kit (the toms in particular).
The guitar 'solo' part [as seen on the video] is played on the left guitar; having it positioned to the
right (in this mix)  weighs it down very heavily on the right during that solo and it overpowers the
whole band at that juncture. Lastly; maybe a little more 'air' in the vocal would help?

These are just my initial observations; it is a tricky mix, but I'd say you're well on-track and hope
this information helps in some way.

Robert.
Please consider becoming a patron of Cambridge Music Technology to help Mike keep this Awesome Educational Site Alive! -- https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts
(06-05-2022, 02:59 PM)Steef Wrote: My mix of this very nice song and well recorded tracks.
Hi Steef, that's a good mix. for me are the drums a bit too far away and the Bass isn't really good hearable and the guitars a bit too loud.
But that is only my taste, there is no right or wrong. so if you like it that way best then you did it perfect.
(06-05-2022, 05:27 PM)Robert Wrote: Sounds good at this end.

I'm very familiar with this song, but haven't posted a mix of it so-far.

A few things to consider:

Don't know if you've seen the Telefunken 'Live from the Lab' video that goes with this song?
If not, it will give you some extra perspective on the guitar positions. From what I'm hearing,
both guitars are out of balance; the one of the left [as seen on the video] on is too loud, and the
other one on the right [as seen on the video] is quite ''buried' in this mix. Both guitars compliment
each other very nicely when balanced. I like what you did with the drum kit (the toms in particular).
The guitar 'solo' part [as seen on the video] is played on the left guitar; having it positioned to the
right (in this mix)  weighs it down very heavily on the right during that solo and it overpowers the
whole band at that juncture. Lastly; maybe a little more 'air' in the vocal would help?

These are just my initial observations; it is a tricky mix, but I'd say you're well on-track and hope
this information helps in some way.

Robert.

Hi Robert, thanks for your input.

I didn't watch the original video while mixing. The final guitar solo can be heard on the left during the song, but more towards the middle during the solo (but still left via the panning). As for the right-hand guitar, it is indeed a bit louder (but that's a personal taste). When the vocals can't be heard, I put both guitars more than the middle to keep the dynamics in the song. The vocals could indeed have had more "air", good point for next time.

Thanks again for your nice and good response.
(06-05-2022, 11:17 PM)GP-Mix Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 02:59 PM)Steef Wrote: My mix of this very nice song and well recorded tracks.
Hi Steef, that's a good mix. for me are the drums a bit too far away and the Bass isn't really good hearable and the guitars a bit too loud.
But that is only my taste, there is no right or wrong. so if you like it that way best then you did it perfect.
Thanks for your comment. As for the drums, this is a conscious musical choice of mine, but I can imagine that someone else thinks the drums are too soft.
Hello, quite good, I think may be vocals need to be heard a little bit more, above all in respect of the keyboard