Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AllHandsLost-Ambitions
Wow. What a complicated mix to make it sound right. Difficult to cut the harshness without sounding dull and loosing the energy.

I have replaced the snare and toms with addictive trigger, cleaned the harshness of the overheads, slightly parallel compressed the drum buss, split the guitar tracks to play with stereo width and cleaned the annoying resonances and harshness, heavily compressed the bass to make it sit into the mix, automatized the voice volume and compressed to make it stay in top. 3 Reverbs (drum room, guitar hall and voice plate) and 3 delays have been used and automatized to taste.

I will appreciate any feedback as it will help me to improve.

Philippe

.mp3    AllHandsLost-Ambitions.mp3 --  (Download: 11.62 MB)

That is a nice mix, Philippe. It sounds great at this end.

Something I always say is.... "If I was to be really nit-picky".....

For this mix, do a few tiny automation tweeks on the kick and snare.
They sometimes get a bit buried and need a little help to restore
their levels in some spots - so as to keep with the energy level
of the song. Those two items were the first things noticed.

I also did this mix and the vocal track was a nightmare - so
well done there; you handled it very well indeed. How did you
approach that task? I edited it very heavily to remove the 'junk'
between phrases and had to manually re-level each one of those
phrases as the track was all over the place [probably] because
the vocalist was shifting his distance from the mic at the wrong
places for the energy to be articulated properly.
Please consider becoming a patron of Cambridge Music Technology to help Mike keep this Awesome Educational Site Alive! -- https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts
Thank you Robert for your comments. I had to fight will level unconsistency in the whole mix.
I'll look at the kick and snare. As suggested automation should be the way to go, compression being already high.
Regarding the voice, I did an automation almost word per word to have the consistency I wanted without any compression. After that I have compressed with a LA2A type plugin (Slate VMR) followed by a deesser.