Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'Prodigal Son v2'
Aggressive compressors on an otherwise gentle song Smile

Update v2 - Refocused, and Added some cool stuff Smile

.mp3    Prodigal.mp3 --  (Download: 7.28 MB)

.mp3    Prodigalv2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.28 MB)

Sounds pretty good to me. I think the reverb might be a bit much at times and when the song gets a bit denser the reverb isn't noticeable and might just be adding some extra unneeded 'fat' to the meal, as it were. I think it's something that could be upfront during the emptier sections then scaled back when everything is kicking off to give everything some more room.

The snare verb makes it feel a little disconnected from the kick at the top and they're in two different environments. That would be a place where you could have some reverb on the kick as well to connect them (then kill when the band comes in). It could add some interest to the drum intro.
I do like the reverb on the vocals at the end. [e: after a second listen I'm not sure it bothers me, so take it with a grain of salt]

I could use more of the background vocals.
The lead vocal might be a little 'thick' but I'm not sure. It was a thought I had listening through the first time. I might be wrong.
I like the guitar sounds.
I didn't notice the compression so if it is aggressive it works.
I wish the toms could be louder in the last section where he switches to sticks but besides adding samples it would be difficult considering it's only four mics.

Anyhoo. Sorry to ramble.
(06-05-2022, 04:33 PM)roy Wrote: Sounds pretty good to me. I think the reverb might be a bit much at times and when the song gets a bit denser the reverb isn't noticeable and might just be adding some extra unneeded 'fat' to the meal, as it were. I think it's something that could be upfront during the emptier sections then scaled back when everything is kicking off to give everything some more room.

The snare verb makes it feel a little disconnected from the kick at the top and they're in two different environments. That would be a place where you could have some reverb on the kick as well to connect them (then kill when the band comes in). It could add some interest to the drum intro.
I do like the reverb on the vocals at the end. [e: after a second listen I'm not sure it bothers me, so take it with a grain of salt]

I could use more of the background vocals.
The lead vocal might be a little 'thick' but I'm not sure. It was a thought I had listening through the first time. I might be wrong.
I like the guitar sounds.
I didn't notice the compression so if it is aggressive it works.
I wish the toms could be louder in the last section where he switches to sticks but besides adding samples it would be difficult considering it's only four mics.

Anyhoo. Sorry to ramble.
Very great comment! no need to be sorry Smile

I went through and followed through your suggestions and the mix improved quiet a bit! enough for me too add some cool effects. I also added some tom samples and tuned them close as I could. Kinda had fun just placing them around Smile

Also the heavy compression is mostly just a bunch of Js plugin 1175 compressors everywhere doing alot of work