Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Umphrey's McGee: 'Crucial Taunt' (GP's-Mix)
Here is my mix of this very good song.
Thanks for listening and any comment is welcome.
Happy Mixing

Version V2 is a bit brighter and a bit less bass.

.mp3    UmphreysMcGee-CrucialTaunt_GPs_Mix_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.37 MB)

.mp3    UmphreysMcGee-CrucialTaunt_GPs_Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 11.37 MB)

Nice mix GP looking forward to hearing more in the future!
(03-05-2022, 10:45 AM)trading_pieces Wrote: Nice mix GP looking forward to hearing more in the future!
Hi trading_pieces, thanks for listening and your comment.
Good mix!

May I ask how you did the panning of the drums (especially the toms and floors)?
It seems that these are done to drummers view, but the hi-hat can be heard through the overheads to the right.
I'm not a drummer, but it seems difficult to me ;-)
That's a nice mix, GP.

The only comment I'd make is the snare sounds great - but it's just too loud (for my ears). Perhaps after lowering the level of the snare to get a better balance of the whole kit - and

then pulling the mix bus level down just a little would improve the overall balance because the drums are a bit loud and overpowering the rest of the band. Sounds like you've also

balanced your mix to the instrument positions to those in the Telefunken video?

Hope you find this info useful.

Robert
Please consider becoming a patron of Cambridge Music Technology to help Mike keep this Awesome Educational Site Alive! -- https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts
(06-05-2022, 05:42 PM)Robert Wrote: That's a nice mix, GP.

The only comment I'd make is the snare sounds great - but it's just too loud (for my ears). Perhaps after lowering the level of the snare to get a better balance of the whole kit - and

then pulling the mix bus level down just a little would improve the overall balance because the drums are a bit loud and overpowering the rest of the band. Sounds like you've also

balanced your mix to the instrument positions to those in the Telefunken video?

Hope you find this info useful.

Robert

Hi Robert thanks for listening and your really good comments. for my taste the snare or drums aren't really too loud.
Today a snare is in a mix nearly as loud as the vocals, so maybe it is a touch too hot but not hurting or so.
I uploaded below a short piece of the song only of the bass+drums+vocals, there you can hear how i wanted the snare to sit in the mix, because i found that this 3 things are the most important tracks in the song, only for me and my taste of course. Btw nothing changed volume or so, only muted the other tracks. and a bit the guitars come over the mics in the room because it is also a part of the whole drum kit sound.
And no i didn't viewed the video, because that gives me my own view on the music.
But i will listen back to it and maybe i lower the drums a bit then.

.mp3    UmphreysMcGee-CrucialTaunt Only Bass Drums Vox Example.mp3 --  (Download: 4.47 MB)

(06-05-2022, 02:54 PM)Steef Wrote: Good mix!

May I ask how you did the panning of the drums (especially the toms and floors)?
It seems that these are done to drummers view, but the hi-hat can be heard through the overheads to the right.
I'm not a drummer, but it seems difficult to me ;-)
Hi Steef, thanks for listening and your good comments. Yes with the HiHat i do it sometimes that i pan it to the other side, but only in a low volume and different EQ.
With that i get the kit felt a bit wider. think on it like using two claps. but it doesn't work on every track.
You can hear the drums better in the short piece that i've uploaded above to the other post.
Hi Gp-Mix, excellent job on the mix, a couple of things I hear, the kick doesn't really blend in with the whole kit, also the drums miss a little bit of energy. you could fix that by sending all the drums to a bus channel and adding a compressor to that channel. Also, the organ isn't really ''hugging the rest of the instruments. this could help with glueing the whole instrumental parts together. The guitar could use a little more high-end and a little fewer mids. Overall, I love your mix.

my mix : https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=43226
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer