Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'Treadmills (JS MIX) v2'
I did a JS plugin only mix, with the except of a few ReaComp's for sidechaining, and one Reaverb

The only automation is the bass line at the very end, which was too loud after the Fx
Alot of things are sidechained
Incase it may be instructional or for anyone curious, I took some screenshots Smile

V2 - panned everything out, and added some tremolo to the Guitars for a little bit more movement

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    TreadmillsJSMix.mp3 --  (Download: 11.17 MB)

.mp3    TreadmillsJSMixv2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.17 MB)

(30-04-2022, 05:03 AM)401kBC Wrote: I did a JS plugin only mix, with the except of a few ReaComp's for sidechaining, and one Reaverb

The only automation is the bass line at the very end, which was too loud after the Fx
Incase it may be instructional or for anyone curious, I took some screenshots Smile
many elements sound in the center, thereby making it dirtier.  You did not think to release the center under the voice?  Maybe the tools should be a little further apart?
(30-04-2022, 10:14 AM)JunglestateUnion Wrote:
(30-04-2022, 05:03 AM)401kBC Wrote: I did a JS plugin only mix, with the except of a few ReaComp's for sidechaining, and one Reaverb

many elements sound in the center, thereby making it dirtier.  You did not think to release the center under the voice?  Maybe the tools should be a little further apart?
Honestly it never occurred to me that it was soo mono.I've had a lovely relationship with my mono's for a while now, I've found that I enjoy making everything work and sound good well before panning, which typically makes things translate way smoother.

However, I forget things eventually need to be a little bit more interesting, and not so clogged up, messy and centered. I have smaller ears so I always hear more treble and the upper balances, hence why I enjoy a more mono mix. Its less fatigue on my ears. The 200hz to 500hz range is the hardest for me to understand, its extremely vague and blurry. I have to use some sort of monitor speaker to really tell what happens around the Low mids, or my balance will never feel right mixing on headphones. 

I use VSX,  AKG q701 headphones, and some cheap Kali monitors in a basic non treated apartment. I only did this mix with the VSX headphones
(30-04-2022, 08:12 PM)401kBC Wrote:
(30-04-2022, 10:14 AM)JunglestateUnion Wrote:

Honestly it never occurred to me that it was soo mono.I've had a lovely relationship with my mono's for a while now, I've found that I enjoy making everything work and sound good well before panning, which typically makes things translate way smoother.

However, I forget things eventually need to be a little bit more interesting, and not so clogged up, messy and centered. I have smaller ears so I always hear more treble and the upper balances, hence why I enjoy a more mono mix. Its less fatigue on my ears. The 200hz to 500hz range is the hardest for me to understand, its extremely vague and blurry. I have to use some sort of monitor speaker to really tell what happens around the Low mids, or my balance will never feel right mixing on headphones. 

I use VSX,  AKG q701 headphones, and some cheap Kali monitors in a basic non treated apartment. I only did this mix with the VSX headphones
so much better.  no clutter in the center.  you can also add a little volume of male voices.  I think that's how they intended it in the mix.  make it more explicit.  Working in this field for over 10 years.  I realized for myself that control is very important.  Especially when you work with the balance of low frequencies and their ratio in the mix.  Many people, myself included, make the same mistakes.  The most difficult thing in our profession is probably to do what you imagined and it looked convincing.