Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Laminar Flow: 'Headspace' - 'Maiden Mix'
This is my first go here. I heard this tune and thought that it is obviously inspired by the great Iron Maiden, so I tried to make it sound as much like a Maiden song as I could.
Any feedback is appreciated.

.mp3    Headspace.mp3 --  (Download: 3.77 MB)

Hi!

Quite an ambitious track to take on for a first go! I think the band do mention Iron Maiden as an influence on their website. This track certainly does have that kind of a sound to it.

As I listen to your mix, I'm hearing that the main guitars are quite loud and upfront at the start, but they seem to sink into the background when the drums, bass and the rest of the band come in. Not sure if the bass is eating up all your mix headroom and causing the master bus compressor and/or limiter to clamp down on the volume of your mix a bit too much here? It's something I think we've all done at one time or another.

It might be worth just taking off all the master bus processing and checking the mix balance again (perhaps after taking a bit of a break). My mix - I think I'm only taking off 1 or 2 db on the main bus compressor.

From what I can hear it seems like you've certainly captured the Iron Maiden vibe though, particuarly with the vocal.

Hope that helps?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey man this one was nice, the issue already mention with the guitars are quite obvious so i think the guitars need to come up aswell. I like the drums and the bass was actually the best sounding / level wise yet compared to the other mixes.
I actually meant that this was my first time submitting something for the site. I've been hobby mixing for about a year now.

I agree that I might be crushing the mix a bit too much. And it's funny because it's quite well-know that some of the last few Maiden records weren't even mastered at all. They just pressed the board mix to CD.
(25-04-2022, 03:47 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hey man this one was nice, the issue already mention with the guitars are quite obvious so i think the guitars need to come up aswell. I like the drums and the bass was actually the best sounding / level wise yet compared to the other mixes.

Thanks. I agree, it needs tweaking. This was a mix I threw together in about three hours.
I made some adjustments to the rhythm guitars and blended the backing vocals a bit better.

If anyone's interested, for this mix I re-amped the guitars and put Slate Drums on the MIDI track. I also put the free BOD SansAmp emulator on the bass just to give it a bit more grunt.

My mastering is just a chain of Reaper stock plug-ins.

.mp3    Headspace2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.7 MB)

Sounds pretty cool to me. Love the grunt on the guitars. I will say the guitars sound somewhat mono. I noticed if you weren't careful with all the mic choices we had they collapsed narrow very quickly. I also think you could ease up on the compression and buss compression, let it breathe!
(29-04-2022, 02:55 AM)FalconMusicAL Wrote: Sounds pretty cool to me.  Love the grunt on the guitars.  I will say the guitars sound somewhat mono.  I noticed if you weren't careful with all the mic choices we had they collapsed narrow very quickly.  I also think you could ease up on the compression and buss compression, let it breathe!
Yeah, I realise I crushed it a bit.

Thanks for listening.