Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ul-mix
i hope you like it Big Grin one down alot more to goTongue the mix is before mastering so bring up the volume

.mp3    ul-mix will knox cog in the machine.mp3 --  (Download: 2.64 MB)

The balance seems to work pretty well here, and it's not a bad idea you've had to push the drums into the background so that the guitar and voice can take the foreground confidently. You've done some lovely effects work, too, which gives everything a nice warm feel, but I nonetheless wonder whether you've gone a bit too far for this particular song. It seems as if it's become too glossy and slightly washed out, and lost the rootsy intimacy which really seems to characterise this multitrack for me. I also suspect that you might not have quite got the best out of the phase relationships between the mics, such that you've then felt the need to go further than necessary with your effects use -- the snare in particular seems to come across rather weak and diffuse in your version, for me, even bearing in mind the choice to keep the rhythm section well behind the lead instruments.

Based on my experience of some of your previous mixes, I'd expected the nice wide sound to incur mono-compatibility penalties, but you seem to have managed it pretty well in this case: you get a bit of level reshuffle in mono, as you'd expect, but you don't completely lose any instruments or get any nasty tonal changes -- so good work there!
i think this was one of my first here so it can be better. Blush
I really like this mix. Nice work. Everything sits well & it sounds really soulful.