Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Laminar Flow - Headspace
Cool classic rock song, love to mix it, thanks a lot for the multi-tracks
I've chosen to use the raw guitar sounds (it's very nice, but also hard, to have so many choices Blush
Hope it turned out ok

Cheers

.mp3    The Laminar Flow - Headspace.mp3 --  (Download: 8.18 MB)

MacPro 5,1 - Monteret | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
Hi!

Not bad!

I feel the vocal might just be a touch too upfront in the mix, but I kind of feel the same thing about my mix too at times. Perhaps it's the guitar that could come up a bit more here perhaps? Not sure. The balance on the library mix is insanely good though isn't it?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Good mix. I like the bass guitar track how it mixed, good hearable because it is an important part in that kind of music. Liked listen to your mix.
Hi mikej,

The balance in the library mix is absolutely great!
I just took it as my reference, and got my mix the way I wanted (although it's not the same)
Felt like mine lacks a bit of mids, but in the end I found that I was using the second snare as my "main" snare (I've felt that it was better fitting the song)...so I've based my mix around that...

Thanks for listening and your feedback, I do sometimes feel the voice could come up a bit, although, this time I've taken my time and did some automation (not enough maybe? Smile )

Cheers
(24-04-2022, 09:49 AM)GP-Mix Wrote: Good mix. I like the bass guitar track how it mixed, good hearable because it is an important part in that kind of music. Liked listen to your mix.

Thanks GP-MIX

Cheers
(24-04-2022, 04:31 PM)filipandrei Wrote: Hi mikej,

The balance in the library mix is absolutely great!
I just took it as my reference, and got my mix the way I wanted (although it's not the same)
Felt like mine lacks a bit of mids, but in the end I found that I was using the second snare as my "main" snare (I've felt that it was better fitting the song)...so I've based my mix around that...

Thanks for listening and your feedback, I do sometimes feel the voice could come up a bit, although, this time I've taken my time and did some automation (not enough maybe? Smile )

Cheers

Yeah, everyone mixes to their own taste. I think it just sort of happens subconsciously. I found Mike's mix really educational and inspirational, especially regarding the mix balance. I can't stop listening to it. I feel he absolutely nailed it.

Regarding automation - I rode the fader on the bass all the way through to just keep it where I wanted, but that was about it really with this one. I kind of wanted to do the same for the guitar to just add some litte pushes here and there, but I didn't as I was scared to mess it up - as the dynamics on the guitar are already amazing. I was also a bit scared to add that extra bit of edge on the top end of the guitar too. I pushed it as far as I dared eq wise, but I think I could have added a bit more...

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Yeah, Mike's Reaper project it's "gold", and, although I don't use all of the third plugins that he uses, the pictures are helpful Smile

In my case, the automation was on drums, guitars and vocals.
What I really liked about the guitars was the choices of tones by blending the 3 guitar takes, and found them really helpful in separating the solo from the rhythm guitars

Cheers
I am just browisng through the screenshots right now actually! There's so much useful info there. The 'Symphony of Silence' session he shared a while back I found really good to study also. I learned quite a lot from that one too.

Cheers!
Oooh I didn't know he shared that one also... Will look it up! Thanks

Cheers!
Yeah - we couldn't figure out how he got the guitar sounds. He was kind enough to share the session as he was actually able to with that one. Turns out the drum processing on that is quite interesting to study too Wink.