Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'HeadspaceV2.1'
Gave it a Smiley Face Smile

V2 - More mixing 
V2.1 - More, More mixing. Great tip MikeJ!

.mp3    Headspace.mp3 --  (Download: 9.68 MB)

.mp3    Headspace_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.58 MB)

.mp3    Headspace_v2.1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.58 MB)

I like the creative eq mixing on this one, feels a bit messy but it fits the song and genre. The bass is a bit on top and is pushing the master a bit but thats ok for me but it feels like the bass made the other elements pushed to the side so the bass seem a bit out of phase/crocked, this happens to me all the time too, could also be because the left guitar has more bass, cant really hear whats happening Smile.
Hi!

Yeah the mix does sound a touch muddy to me. I feel the main guitar is sounding a bit kind of roomy too perhaps? As crownoise mentioned the bass could be taking up quite a lot of that low end. In the library mix I feel the kick takes the low end, and the bass fills out more of the mids? Maybe some more top end on the vocal too, to balance things out a bit and get it to cut through? Possibly a high shelf or so?

I feel addressing these issues would help you to get a much better balance with the drums here.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Thank you for the tips and suggestions! I made a second version hopefully a little more closer to the vision Smile
V2 Much better! The main guitar riff is sounding really cool. I think you might be able to high pass the bass even a touch more perhaps?

This might not help much, but I used to start thinking of bass a bit like reverb - just kind of sneak it in until you can just hear it and then see how it feels. I used to use far far to much of both. It has taken me a good few years to feel somewhat comfortable with bass levels (and reverb!).
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(24-04-2022, 08:30 PM)mikej Wrote: V2 Much better!  The main guitar riff is sounding really cool.  I think you might be able to high pass the bass even a touch more perhaps? 

This might not help much, but I used to start thinking of bass a bit like reverb - just kind of sneak it in until you can just hear it and then see how it feels.  I used to use far far to much of both.  It has taken me a good few years to feel somewhat comfortable with bass levels (and reverb!).
That is a helpful tip!

In v2.1 I added the free JS reaper plugin Upward Expander to the bass, and sidechained that from the Main Guitars and I think it does a great job of taming the bass in time Smile 

I also added a delay to the solo guitars, but maybe its distracting
I'll be able to check it out in a few minutes actually. I'm just listening back to my 'Symphony Of Silence' mix as it just came to mind in filipandrei's headspace thread... I can hear I had similar issues with the bass with that mix back then too. Roy has some pretty useful comments in that old thread also. Funny, a few years later and and I can now hear exactly what he was getting at!

Cheers!
Yeah it's done the trick. The bass is sitting a whole lot better now I think!

Cheers!

edit: Forgot to add that I think the delays are cool too.