Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marc Ellason - Upside Down
This had surprising challenges, but I think I found something I liked in it. I hope you do too.

.mp3    Upside Down.mp3 --  (Download: 8.67 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi!
Nice levels. I liked what i heard.
To me the vox lead need a tiny bit of more presence but nothing to worry about it.
Cheers!
thanks for the comments. yes. I think I could have probably automated the lead vocal in a few more places.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Good mix! The only thing that bugs me is the gated reverb on the snare; it doesn't fit the vibe of the song for me.
(25-05-2022, 10:16 PM)Judders Wrote: Good mix!  The only thing that bugs me is the gated reverb on the snare; it doesn't fit the vibe of the song for me.
I appreciate the response.  It is not exactly a gated verb but I get your jist.
I am actually happy you found it counter to the 'vibe'. Not really sure what the vibe was with this song. Hung it out there with something different.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(25-05-2022, 11:03 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(25-05-2022, 10:16 PM)Judders Wrote: Good mix!  The only thing that bugs me is the gated reverb on the snare; it doesn't fit the vibe of the song for me.
I am actually happy you found it counter to the 'vibe'. Not really sure what the vibe was with this song. Hung it out there with something different.
For sure, just because it bugs me, doesn't mean it's wrong or bad!

I'm intrigued now though; it's definitely got a non-linear decay, so what is the reverb?
(26-05-2022, 10:12 PM)Judders Wrote:
(25-05-2022, 11:03 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
For sure, just because it bugs me, doesn't mean it's wrong or bad!

I'm intrigued now though; it's definitely got a non-linear decay, so what is the reverb?
I can appreciate that. Sometimes I find that the more visceral someone feels about an approach of mine or an effect I create its is mostly because it is unique or different or unexpected. Those are things I strive for, although obviously I do not want them to detract from the song. That is often a fine line.
You are more right than I am on the snare effect. It is a short plate (< 1 sec.) with a discreet gate after it. And it is the only time I have actually created that chain. The full chain (as a send to an FX buss) is: Compressor/OpenAir IR Reverb/Gate/EQ. The gate is keeping the tail consistent. I have used gated reverb patches in other places and songs but I have never created the gated effect discreetly like this, before. Good ear, sir.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]