Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My version: feedback welcome!
Here it is, including a little home mastering as well.

Whatever you think might help is welcome.

thx

andrea

.mp3    Sambasevam master 12-10-12.mp3 --  (Download: 9.08 MB)

--
New Lumisokea audiovisual teaser check it out here
Snippets from forthcoming Lumisokea's EP 'Selva' already available here

There's a lot of nice stuff in here, and overall a nice sense of expansiveness that implies to me that you've got head screwed on pretty well as regards sends effects in particular.

Your male lead vocal is so heavily widened that I think you're running into mono-compatibility difficulties. It's also a bit unusual for Bollywood tracks to have such heavily effected lead vocals -- and in this case it's a bit incongruous given the naturalistic sound you've gone for with the female sound. There's also a big mismatch between the relative levels of those two lead vocals relative to the backing.

The bass feels like it doesn't support the low end quite enough overall, which means that the mix as a whole just feels like it's lacking warmth. The thin-sounding guitar and piano timbres doesn't help in that respect either.

The solo guitar feels rather too dry to me, as if it's not really stuck onto the backing properly.
(14-11-2012, 09:30 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: There's a lot of nice stuff in here, and overall a nice sense of expansiveness that implies to me that you've got head screwed on pretty well as regards sends effects in particular.

Your male lead vocal is so heavily widened that I think you're running into mono-compatibility difficulties. It's also a bit unusual for Bollywood tracks to have such heavily effected lead vocals -- and in this case it's a bit incongruous given the naturalistic sound you've gone for with the female sound. There's also a big mismatch between the relative levels of those two lead vocals relative to the backing.

The bass feels like it doesn't support the low end quite enough overall, which means that the mix as a whole just feels like it's lacking warmth. The thin-sounding guitar and piano timbres doesn't help in that respect either.

The solo guitar feels rather too dry to me, as if it's not really stuck onto the backing properly.

Hi Mike! Thanks so much for your comments and I'm glad there's something in there you actually liked Smile

Going in order:

- Your male lead vocal is so heavily widened that I think you're running into mono-compatibility difficulties: I tried to mono it in several parts (using grot boxes too) but didn't really see problems to be honest.

- It's also a bit unusual for Bollywood tracks to have such heavily effected lead vocals -- and in this case it's a bit incongruous given the naturalistic sound you've gone for with the female sound. There's also a big mismatch between the relative levels of those two lead vocals relative to the backing. : I totally agree, actually didn't notice how much relatively louder the male vocals sound as opposed to the female, which I think is due to its being so much wider as well.

- The bass feels like it doesn't support the low end quite enough overall, which means that the mix as a whole just feels like it's lacking warmth. The thin-sounding guitar and piano timbres doesn't help in that respect either. : yeah, true. I had quite some trouble with that bass sound I remember. And I'm not very good at making piano and guitar sound warmer, especially if the original sound is so thin and weak. I think I must have spent most time trying to make that violin sound decent enough (you had it replayed by a session pro right? It would be a bit too much for a test-mix I thought Smile)

- The solo guitar feels rather too dry to me, as if it's not really stuck onto the backing properly.: I just wanted to give it enough importance and let the transients come across nicely, since it's the best solo of the track. But probably it contrasts too much with the overall glossy/dreamy vibe.

I really appreciate your taking the time, I have not much experience in working on more commercial genres and it's quite challenging I must say! I'd love reading more comments coming from you on the other tracks I uploaded, given there's enough time for that.

cheers

andrea
--

Overall a pretty nice mix. I just felt the the vocals were a bit too wide for my tastes and i didn't feel the emotion that the producer intended, apart from that, it was a good listen.
(20-11-2012, 08:48 AM)Trakslasha Wrote: Overall a pretty nice mix. I just felt the the vocals were a bit too wide for my tastes and i didn't feel the emotion that the producer intended, apart from that, it was a good listen.

Hi!

If you're talking about the male vocals I agree they were really too wide, especially as opposed to the quite-centered female ones.

Which producer are you referring to? And especially which emotion was this 'producer' intending?

thx though

a.
--

When I refer to the producer I'm referring to the guy that composed the music and when u listen to the string arrangement u get the sense that it was put in to bring out a sort of......heartfelt emotion if you know what I mean.