Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Our Good Wolf - Tourism
Hi,

My mix.

Cheers!

Update: mix 1.0. A little more snare low end, and cleaned up the vocal clicks a touch.

.mp3    Our Good Wolf - Tourism.mp3 --  (Download: 9.8 MB)

.mp3    Our Good Wolf - Tourism 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 9.8 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Sounds good for the most part mate as i would expect from you, being picking on my end i would say the kick is maybe too tubby for being punchy, and one thing that really threw me off after hearing this so many times is the snare comes through undynamically, the ghost? hits seem to have more timbre than i would expect and sound as strong as the main ones. listening on different cans its not so noticable but on beyerdynamics it is so must be higher frquencies.
Hi!

Appreciate the comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts - much appreciated.

You are right about the kick. I quite liked that tubby quality of the kick so I eq'd and balanced for more that sound, rather than cutting it. Not sure about the snare though, athough I won't argue about the undynamic part! I gated the direct mic so really only the main snare hits come through as it was quite busy once I'd got the direct to the level I wanted. I'm not sure you can really hear the ghost hits from the OH and room mics, which is where I was hoping they would come through. I think it might be the hi-hat and ride that you are hearing? I thought I'd actually removed too much of the ghost notes with the gate, but I didn't get around to going back and changing it. I was actually expecting to get criticism for removing too much of the ghost hits to be honest, but don't tell anyone that.

I should revisit it sometime, as you are right that I probably can do the drums a bit better.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(12-04-2022, 08:31 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Appreciate the comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts - much appreciated.

You are right about the kick.  I quite liked that tubby quality of the kick so I eq'd and balanced for more that sound, rather than cutting it.  Not sure about the snare though, athough I won't argue about the undynamic part!  I gated the direct mic so really only the main snare hits come through as it was quite busy once I'd got the direct to the level I wanted.  I'm not sure you can really hear the ghost hits from the OH and room mics, which is where I was hoping they would come through.  I think it might be the hi-hat and ride that you are hearing?  I thought I'd actually removed too much of the ghost notes with the gate, but I didn't get around to going back and changing it.  I was actually expecting to get criticism for removing too much of the ghost hits to be honest, but don't tell anyone that.

I should revisit it sometime, as you are right that I probably can do the drums a bit better.

Cheers!
I probably didnt explain what i meant very well, all the hits that arent on the 2 and 4 sounds substantially stronger in yours than any other version i have heard, to a point im not even sure i knew they were there before. Personally i feel hearing them so prominently it loses the driving motion that is present when the 2 and 4 are the only really audible ones, listening back now with it not being so fresh in my ears its not as bad as it first sounded, during the bridge mostly sounds like programmed drums.
To be honest I'm still not really sure what you mean, as to me the ghost hits come through much better on the library mix compared to my mix as I mentioned.

Not that this helps our discussion really, but from memory I think there is a section in library mix where the drums do sound quite a bit different to me from the multitrack session. I'm sure I noticed another spot where the piano sounds different too. There's like a run into the next section in the library mix, that is not in the multitrack.

Cheers!
(13-04-2022, 09:29 AM)mikej Wrote: To be honest I'm still not really sure what you mean, as to me the ghost hits come through much better on the library mix compared to my mix as I mentioned.

Not that this helps our discussion really, but from memory I think there is a section in library mix where the drums do sound quite a bit different to me from the multitrack session.  I'm sure I noticed another spot where the piano sounds different too.  There's like a run into the next section in the library mix, that is not in the multitrack.

Cheers!
To be honest mate im not even sure i know anymore lol, i think its just the way the snare is cutting through sounds a bit odd my end, i just listened to the library mix and yes you are right but i dont think i even listened to it before. It could be the gate making it sound alot sharper, something just feels unnatural sorry for being confusing.
Really nice. Nice depth. I love the timbre of the vocal, but I think it's a little on top in a few spots. There's some metronome artifacts in the vocal track too, kinda sounds like hihat though lol. The compression on the vocal is spot on though. What kind of compressor or compressors are you using there?
Thanks for listening!
Logic, Midas M32, KRK monitors, Beyerdynamic and Focal headphones
Hey thanks!

Yeah I think there's certainly a section towards the end where I think I might have bumped up the volume just a touch too much. Vocal compressor is top secret, so I'm afraid I can't tell you that it's Stillwell The Rocket.

Cheers!
Hi Mikej .Your mix is great .Only I wanted to hear low end snare.I loved how you drive the song with piano.Congrulations !I feel that you are one of the gentleman ,nice and polite  guy in this forum.
Kick completely muffled, voice over treated, too compressed.

fuzzy innacurate Bass.

Cheers mate.