Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'I'm Alright v2'
I never wanted to mix this song, something about the harmonics and tones was somewhat aggravating, but I think I pulled through and got a good (and loud!) mix Smile

Update v2 - Fixed kick, bass, and focused much more on a lovely room tone than anything else this go around Smile

.mp3    Im Alright.mp3 --  (Download: 6.8 MB)

.mp3    Im Alrightv2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.8 MB)

My initial reaction is that adding a distorted, highly compressed bass right at the forefront of the mix is taking me out of the experience a bit cus it’s a bit out of character for the genre. Same thing thing with the clicky bass drum. But then again there was only a kick in track.

Like the vocal balancing.
(09-04-2022, 01:51 PM)MeltedTommyBoy Wrote: My initial reaction is that adding a distorted, highly compressed bass right at the forefront of the mix is taking me out of the experience a bit cus it’s a bit out of character for the genre. Same thing thing with the clicky bass drum. But then again there was only a kick in track.

Thank you for the listen! I'll go back and further mix it up. I only spent about an hour on this one.. I don't know what it is. The acoustic? The Rhythm? I flew threw this one as it somewhat annoys me. I usally always give more energy in places songs shouldn't have it.

I like to find these challenging ones I don't want to do, so I can learn more Smile
(09-04-2022, 05:05 PM)401kBC Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 01:51 PM)MeltedTommyBoy Wrote: My initial reaction is that adding a distorted, highly compressed bass right at the forefront of the mix is taking me out of the experience a bit cus it’s a bit out of character for the genre. Same thing thing with the clicky bass drum. But then again there was only a kick in track.

Thank you for the listen! I'll go back and further mix it up. I only spent about an hour on this one.. I don't know what it is. The acoustic? The Rhythm? I flew threw this one as it somewhat annoys me. I usally always give more energy in places songs shouldn't have it.

I like to find these challenging ones I don't want to do, so I can learn more Smile
Good effort for a speed run though. I like a lot of room tone in my drum sound and on other things with Latin to make it feel like a live room performance. But I think this is a creative mix depending on what you’re going for. The creative FX automation throughout was good. Just a thing of balance now. I went for a sound more similar to Smooth by Santana, not pushing the boat out but still sounds great
Killer bass! Not in a good way, sorry. I think it ruins otherwise decent mix.
(09-04-2022, 05:09 PM)MeltedTommyBoy Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 05:05 PM)401kBC Wrote:

Good effort for a speed run though. I like a lot of room tone in my drum sound and on other things with Latin to make it feel like a live room performance. But I think this is a creative mix depending on what you’re going for. The creative FX automation throughout was good. Just a thing of balance now. I went for a sound more similar to Smooth by Santana, not pushing the boat out but still sounds great
40 minutes later v2 haha

Ahh referencing some Santana would have been smart! super close in the feel to this song. The room sound is definitely important in a song like this, something I need to work on listening for more. I'll check your mix out Smile