Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roomy drum sound ?
Hey, would appreciate some feedback on my mix. Is it too present? Also other people seem to have gone for a less roomy drum sound but I like it. Any tips appreciated. Wondering if I needed a less subby bass with more low mid.
Thanks

.mp3    Im Alright.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

.mp3    Im Alright - Less Room + Sub, Lower Maximizer Thresh.mp3 --  (Download: 6.95 MB)

I think it's a good mix. Too present? Maybe, but not to my taste. Then, I am the one that would make less roomy drum sound. And YES - less sub-low end Smile
(08-04-2022, 09:43 PM)roxa Wrote: I think it's a good mix. Too present? Maybe, but not to my taste. Then, I am the one that would make less roomy drum sound. And YES - less sub-low end Smile

Thanks man  Big Grin What would you change? Anything you’d keep?
I think its a great mix! I agree and I think the feel of the song is too much in the sub low end. Basically it puts the song to a lower listening level. But some listeners want it to feel maybe a few dbs more energy. That sub energy is what limits it, possibly even a gentle lowering baxell style hp curve on the master could bring it forward just the touch it needs. Nonethless a great mix all together Smile
(08-04-2022, 09:58 PM)MeltedTommyBoy Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 09:43 PM)roxa Wrote: I think it's a good mix. Too present? Maybe, but not to my taste. Then, I am the one that would make less roomy drum sound. And YES - less sub-low end Smile

Would keep everything! - just a tad less room sound and cleaner low end - it's a good one Smile
(08-04-2022, 10:19 PM)401kBC Wrote: I think its a great mix! I agree and I think the feel of the song is too much in the sub low end. Basically it puts the song to a lower listening level. But some listeners want it to feel maybe a few dbs more energy. That sub energy is what limits it, possibly even a gentle lowering baxell style hp curve on the master could bring it forward just the touch it needs. Nonethless a great mix all together Smile

Cheers man. So… added a baxell curve and backed off the sub 100hz exciter on my master, maximised slightly harder and made drums a bit less roomy with some more individual drum compression. Personally I think the roomy sound is right as it doesn’t squeeze the verses so hard in terms of arrangement dynamics, but hey.

.mp3    Im Alright - Less Room + Sub, Lower Maximizer Thresh.mp3 --  (Download: 6.95 MB)

(08-04-2022, 10:33 PM)roxa Wrote:

Would keep everything! - just a tad less room sound and cleaner low end - it's a good one Smile

Thanks dude, see below for your suggested changes.
(08-04-2022, 10:19 PM)401kBC Wrote: I think its a great mix! I agree and I think the feel of the song is too much in the sub low end. Basically it puts the song to a lower listening level. But some listeners want it to feel maybe a few dbs more energy. That sub energy is what limits it, possibly even a gentle lowering baxell style hp curve on the master could bring it forward just the touch it needs. Nonethless a great mix all together Smile
The maximiser is only really kissing it even in the louder sections anyway. A lot of the energy/dynamic control has been done with a rear bus style send into an 1176 plugin
(09-04-2022, 12:25 PM)MeltedTommyBoy Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 10:33 PM)roxa Wrote:

Thanks dude, see below for your suggested changes.

Sounds good! Perfect. 
I very much like the second version alot! Its really chill feeling and I can turn it up a little louder, with more room and music without the bass distracting me so much as in the first one. You know this song is starting to grow on me haha
Great mix Smile