Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ian Dearden (with Vicki Swann & Jonny Dyer) - Song For John
Hi,

Beautiful song.  My mix attempt.

Cheers!

Update (Nov '22): Mix v2 - Decided to have another try at this one.

.mp3    Ian Dearden - Song For John 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 11.25 MB)

.mp3    Ian Dearden - Song For John v2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.29 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(05-04-2022, 08:56 PM)Thanks Mike.Enjoyed the mix.CheersIan Dmikej Wrote: Hi,

Beautiful song.  My mix attempt.

Cheers!
The main guitar part reminded me of church bell peals. Your song and the recording really is a wonderful tribute.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Nice balanced mix!
Very warm and lovely mix Smile
Hi!

Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

Cheers!
very nice, is it me or does the main guitar sound like its coming in from the right more? feels a bit odd. sounds very full when all the elements come in good stuff.
(02-05-2022, 07:08 AM)Ys Man Wrote: very nice, is it me or does the main guitar sound like its coming in from the right more? feels a bit odd. sounds very full when all the elements come in good stuff.

No it's not you. To try and add some width I split the guitar in to 3, with more lows on the left, and highs on the right (and some up the middle). I don't think it's quite worked out though. Listening back after a break, I think I was a bit too shy with the freq split and volume for the low side.

Cheers!
Mike
Listened to this again today - lovely mix, indeed.

Would love to hear the acoustic guitar better balanced out in the stereo (giving that bottom end some more oomph)!! What exactly did you do in splitting it into 3? I was never terribly happy with the sound of the guitar, although i like the playing - it's in DADGAD tuning with a capo on 5, and the picking pattern gives that lovely chiming character.

Again, many thanks!!
Cheers
Ian D
Hi,

For the guitar I just duplicated the channel 3 times. Panned one left, middle and right. Eq on left channel rolls off the highs, eq on the right rolls off the lows, and a kind of mid band pass for the middle.

The plan was to still have the singer-songwriter with a guitar feel by keeping the guitar centered, but to add a little bit of stereo interest on the left and right channels with certain notes. I was hoping to get an effect a bit like a stereo mic'ed piano. Well, that was the idea. I'll maybe have to revisit this one sometime, and see if I can get it a bit closer to how I hear it sounding in my head.

Thanks once again for sharing your beautiful and personal song.

Cheers!