Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imp Act - Back In Time (Malcolm Tempt mix)
I agree, I need to know more how others do it and to do that I need to explore and share. For example, the first clean electric guitar track, I've spent a lot of time trying to liven it up without just adding distortion and got nowhere. I listened to other mixes here and can hardly hear it there either! So I give up, it can just be background.

Here's my new v1.2 mix. Changes too numerous to mention if I could even remember them all, but...
* intro extended slightly
* overall livened up the drums and guitar as suggested
* hi-passed rhythm guitars a bit, with a compromise, I left my favourite bit still heavy
* changed amp for the bass and added reverb (forgot that last time) and it's much clearer
* increased limiting a bit

Cheers

.mp3    Imp Act - Back In Time (Malcolm Tempt mix1.2).mp3 --  (Download: 6.59 MB)

Hi!

Yeah - the key is definitely to try lots of things out, and find out what works for you, and what doesn't. A good tip for guitar sounds is to check out and read few guitar forums and guitar youtubers. Sometimes I find just a db at 1.5k brings the guitar sound out nicely, along with a little bump somewhere around 6-8k.

Mix 1.2 is certainly a lot clearer and a little more 'upfront'. Good work. Do watch that you don't give it too much in that 3-4k area though - I think there might be just a touch too much of that on the guitar that comes in at around the 1:30 mark. I haven't attempted this mix yet. I think tone wise somewhere between your 1.2 mix and the library mix might be about right for me. Try loading up the library mix and your two mixes on separate tracks in your daw. Level match them and switch between them you'll probably hear what I mean.

Hope that helps some?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi again,

Thanks for your tips before. I made some more substantial changes and produced this "Reflections" mix a while back, I just hadn't gotten back to post it here. 

It has an even moodier feel, and I changed the composition a little and moved things around. Very little actually added to the original tracks though. 

Hope you like it! 

I also posted it on my Soundcloud (hope that's ok) that I just set up, with a few other tracks, more will go up when they're "done". 
https://soundcloud.com/joel-byrnes-sound

Cheers

.mp3    Imp Act - Back In Time (Reflections mix).mp3 --  (Download: 5.07 MB)