Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our good wolf - Tourism mix. Such a warm recording!
Love that live session vibe, yup!

.mp3    Tourism - OUR GOOD WOLF - S Blavatsky mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.98 MB)

(01-04-2022, 09:48 PM)Sebastien Blavatsky Wrote: Our good wolf - Tourism mix. Such a warm recording!

How do you know about the "recording" qualities when all you are given is a multi which also includes automation - suggesting it's been extensively worked to some else's values and ideals POST TRACKING? At least in part, big part. Most multis in the library have been extensively modified post recording - yes, extensively! And I can prove it.

It appears to me someone put a tilt on the 2buss before printing/re-printing the multi in an effort no doubt, to hide the fact that it's already been worked and to give forum participants a little challenge. The honeypot is that lurkers will have to register/login to play Wink

SPOILER ALERT  Cool  Big Grin  Wink  Rolleyes  Tongue  Apple Software  Blush  Confused  Undecided
If you put the tilt with a focal point at 1000Hz, the mix will EQ itself, save for some tweaks here and there with some fine tuning on the balance, and panning, with a flick of reverb. It's already EQ'd, compressed, automated. The more we add to those distortions, the more it will turn ugly, exponentially.

Actually, reverb on the mix won't cut it. She, and the BV's, are flawed by rich early reflections of a VERY SMALL ROOM which make any placement in depth impossible to reconcile. We can't remove ambiance. Indeed, we can't remove or touch most things printed without it having negative consequences. If you have critical listening skills (I've not auditioned your mixmaster because you are already off-target in your header), you will hear the mistake in their bandcamp version. This is an engineering and producer value issue which can't be fixed up-stream.  It's a shame because the mixmaster generally works well (I am ignoring the bass problem in that statement, out of courtesy for those involved). Perahps more on that later, in my own thread; it warrants discussion.
One of the great things about this forum is that it is indeed a level playing field as far as the multi track sessions go. The point is - its not about the recording qualities, it's about how you mix it Smile. A lot of people do somehow seem to miss this fact Smile.

Personally I very am grateful to all the artists that have graciously and generously donated their hard work in the form of the multitracks we have available to use to practice our mixing skills.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I agree and see it similar.
(06-04-2022, 02:15 PM)Oh boy, what a post! Just pushed play and sounded warm. CheersMonk Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 09:48 PM)Sebastien Blavatsky Wrote: Our good wolf - Tourism mix. Such a warm recording!

How do you know about the "recording" qualities when all you are given is a multi which also includes automation - suggesting it's been extensively worked to some else's values and ideals POST TRACKING? At least in part, big part. Most multis in the library have been extensively modified post recording - yes, extensively! And I can prove it.

It appears to me someone put a tilt on the 2buss before printing/re-printing the multi in an effort no doubt, to hide the fact that it's already been worked and to give forum participants a little challenge. The honeypot is that lurkers will have to register/login to play Wink

SPOILER ALERT  Cool  Big Grin  Wink  Rolleyes  Tongue  Apple Software  Blush  Confused  Undecided
If you put the tilt with a focal point at 1000Hz, the mix will EQ itself, save for some tweaks here and there with some fine tuning on the balance, and panning, with a flick of reverb. It's already EQ'd, compressed, automated. The more we add to those distortions, the more it will turn ugly, exponentially.

Actually, reverb on the mix won't cut it. She, and the BV's, are flawed by rich early reflections of a VERY SMALL ROOM which make any placement in depth impossible to reconcile. We can't remove ambiance. Indeed, we can't remove or touch most things printed without it having negative consequences. If you have critical listening skills (I've not auditioned your mixmaster because you are already off-target in your header), you will hear the mistake in their bandcamp version. This is an engineering and producer value issue which can't be fixed up-stream.  It's a shame because the mixmaster generally works well (I am ignoring the bass problem in that statement, out of courtesy for those involved). Perahps more on that later, in my own thread; it warrants discussion.
(10-04-2022, 10:43 PM)Sebastien Blavatsky Wrote: Oh boy, what a post! Just pushed play and sounded warm. Cheers

Yeah... I think sometimes things just need to be taken at face value. Anyway... Moving swiftly on... 

Apologies for just getting round to checking out your mix.  I've given it a good few listens. 

A pretty good effort this.  I only noted a couple of things - by way of adding extra polish.  I felt the mix could do with maybe a bump of low end around 100, and maybe a touch of 3k-ish too perhaps?  I thought the intro and outro vox could maybe come up a touch in volume and possibly have a just a little more reverb... but saying that - that level difference does mean the band's entrance has more impact, which is a neat trick to use.  The other main thing I noted was that the mix somehow seems maybe a touch on the mono side.  Not sure if it's just because the guitars are panned more centrally - you maybe can spread things out a bit more, to sort of counter that single OH drum mic?  I find it sometimes can help to use a reverb with a little more stereo feel on the snare and vocal.  Sometimes I like to sneak in a little stereo delay or chorus or some other width processing under some elements too - not enough to be obvious, but just enough to give some elements a little lift.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Oh, I too found myself thinking that the recording was quite warm and I agree it has a nice live sort of feel to it too.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Nice FX on the guitar!
Thanks for listening!
Logic, Midas M32, KRK monitors, Beyerdynamic and Focal headphones