Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'You Are The One' SkellyMix
Hey there, thought I'd give it a try as well.
It was fun to mix, though the acoustic really needed some ( a lot ) more highs. Generally, I had to use a lot of harsh EQing.
Personally, I think the mix seems less 70s style - that's probably because I completely forgot when this track has been recorded while I was mixing.
It also explained why there was so much noise to deal with, but yeah ...

I mixed this all in a very sleepy state, 'xcuse me if my ears did not allow for a lot of accuracy.
On another note: I tried to keep the RMS close to Mike's version.

In any case, this is my contribution. Feedback is always welcome.
Cheers!

/edit: Added another version of the track after waking up again.

.mp3    StreetNoise_YouAreTheOne_Full-render2.mp3 --  (Download: 15.72 MB)

.mp3    StreetNoise_YouAreTheOne_Full.mp3 --  (Download: 15.72 MB)

I like both mixes, but I for some reason I don't know, I like the first one better. One thing that caught my attention was the kick. I think it doesn't fit there, maybe because it sounds 'too modern' for this style. Smile But just remember I'm a beginner and I still have so much to learn!!
mixing since April 2013
Hey there Juanjose,

Thanks for the feedback! I hope you don't think that the upper one is the first, as that is, in fact, the second render!
I don't know why exactly that happened, but it did. In any case, I do agree that the Kick might have too much highs for the age.
Again, I completely forgot about its age. I did not intend to change it however - I think a modern-version of it doesn't hurt too much, though it's a matter of taste. Smile

Cheers!
(22-03-2014, 11:23 PM)Skelpolu Wrote: Hey there, thought I'd give it a try as well.

Well. I'm a little tired myself. Stayed up too late last night. I actually should go home now but I promised I'd review your mix here today so I wanted to make sure I got to this before I went home for the night. Wink

Anyway, the long and the short of it is I can hear the bones of a beautiful mix here, but there are three issues:

1. The kick is, I feel, too loud and doesn't have enough thump and body.
2. Bass is a little thin; this kind of recording needs a nice phat bass sound. Wink
3. Sounds like there's a bit too much compression here; makes the mix sound cluttered.

Assuming you're using compression in your master buss, would you mind rendering the next mix without it? I'm wondering how it sounds and it'll give me a better picture of your mix to hear it "raw." Wink

Seems like you're on the right track, though. No pun intended. Wink

Talk to you soon!
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince